Prepare for Success
To be successful as a student and teacher in elementary education, you must like children and have patience. You should also be creative, energetic and enthusiastic. When considering a career in education, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you enjoy and get energized working with children?
- Are you a good communicator?
- Have you mastered the basic reading, writing and critical thinking skills required to interest and inspire students?
- Do you enjoy learning and helping young people learn?
- Do you want to work hard, be challenged and receive rich emotional rewards?
If you can answer yes to these questions, you may be the perfect candidate for a degree in elementary education.
Your First Year
To earn a bachelor’s degree in elementary education, you will complete the University of Idaho core classes, College of Education requirements and State of Idaho requirements. You must pass each course for the elementary major with at least a “C” to be admitted into the teacher education program. Below are some of the courses you will complete for an elementary education degree:
- EDCI 201 – Diverse Learners in School Cultural Context
- EDCI 301 – Principles of Learning and Development
- Psych 305 – Developmental Psychology
- EDCI 329 – Science Methods
- EDCI 321 – Literature for Children
You will be required to pass a series of exams before you begin your internship work.