Dr. David A. Yopp
College of Education
Campus Locations: Brink Hall and Education Building, Moscow Campus
Department of Mathematics and Curriculum and Instruction
1998 Doctor of Arts, Mathematics, Idaho State University, Pocatello Thesis: Cone-Preserving Linear Maps, Advisor: Richard Hill
1994 Master of Arts, Mathematics, Indiana University, Bloomington 1991
Master of Science in Mathematics, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro 1990
B.S. in Mathematics Education, Arkansas State University, Jonesboro
Professor Yopp's interests include proof and reasoning teaching and learning and the knowledge needed for effective mathematics instructional coaching in elementary and middle grades. He is the co-principal investigator on the 3.5 million dollar NSF-funded DRK-12 Grant Examining Mathematics Coaching, EMC http://www.math.montana.edu/~emc/
. He has published in the Journal for Mathematical Behavior, Investigation in Mathematics Learning, Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, Teaching Children Mathematics, the MAA Focus,
and Linear Algebra and Its Applications
, among others.
- Greenwood, M. C., Burroughs, E. A., Yopp, D. A., Higgs, M., Sutton, J. The Relationship between Teacher Mathematics Knowledge and Teacher Practice. American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting Proceedings. April 2012.
- Yopp, D. A. Counter examples that explain why. The Mathematics Teacher. To appear spring 2013.
- Burroughs, E. A., Yopp, D. A., Greenwood, M., Higgs, M., and Sutton, J. The Relationship between Teacher Mathematics Knowledge and Teacher Practice. American Educational Research Journal, under review.
- Sutton, J. T., Burroughs, E.A., and Yopp, D.A. (2011). Defining Coaching Knowledge. Mathematics Education Leadership, fall, 12-20.
- Yopp, D. A., Burroughs, E.A., and Lindaman, B. (2011). Why it is important for in-service elementary teachers to know that .999…=1. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 30(4), 304-318.
- Yopp, D. A. (2011). How some research mathematicians and statisticians use proof in under-graduate mathematics. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 30 (2), 115-130.
- Yopp, D., Burroughs, E.A., Luebeck, J., Heidema, C., Mitchell, A., and Sutton, J. T. (2011). How to be a wise consumer of coaching: Strategies teachers can use to maximize coaching's benefits. Journal of Staff Development, 32(1), 50-53.
- Burroughs, E.A. and Yopp, D. A. (2010) Prospective Elementary School Students’ Understanding of Repeating Decimals. Investigations in Mathematics Learning, 3(1), 23-42.
- Yopp, D. A. (2010) Developing an Understanding of Logical Necessity. Teaching Children Mathematics, 16(7), 410-422.
- Yopp, D.A, and Rehberger, R. (2009). A Curriculum Focus Intervention’s Effects on Prealgebra Achievement. Journal of Developmental Education, 33(2), 26-36.
- Yopp, D. A. (2009) From Inductive Reasoning to Formal Proof. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 15(5), 286-291.
- Yopp, D. A. (2009) Student-Produced Video Summaries in a Mathematics Course for Prospective Elementary School Teachers. On-Math, January.
- Yopp, D. A. (2008). One U.S. Mathematics Educator’s Professional Development Experience with In-service Chinese Teachers. U.S.-Sino Workshop on Mathematics and Science Education, Murfreesboro, TN, 61-65.
- Yopp, D. A. (2008). Smooth, Differentiable, and Tangent Line Approximations. MathAMATYC Educator, 1(1), 62-64.
- Yopp, D. A. (2008). Portfolio and Scoring Rubrics in Technology-Aided Instruction. MAA Focus, 28(5), 14-16.
- Yopp, D. A., and Zhou, J. (2007). A Yin and Yang Approach to Area and Irregular Shapes: Beyond the Area of Triangles and Parallelograms. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 13 (5), 296-297.
- Yopp, D. A., Hill, R. D., and Waters, S. (2005). On the Facial Structure of the Cone of Positive Maps. Pan American Mathematics Journal, 15(3), 1-12.
- Yopp, D. A., and Hill, R. D. (2005). Extremals and Exposed Faces of the Cone of Positive Maps. Linear and Multilinear Algebra, 53(3), 167-174.
- Yopp, D. A. (2005). Making Connections in Math Class. Teaching for Success, January.
- Yopp, D. A. (2000). On the Cone of Completely Copositive and Decomposable Linear Transformations. Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 312(1-3), 1-12.
- Yopp, D. A. (2000). On the Cone of Completely Positive Linear Transformations. Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 304(1-3), 119-129.
- National Science Foundation Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12) (NSF DRK-12 Award #0918326)
Examining Coaching in Elementary (K-8) Mathematics Classrooms (2009-2014)
$3,499,314 to conduct a research study on instructional coaching in elementary mathematics classrooms
PI: Yopp, David, Montana State University
Co-PIs: Burroughs, Elizabeth, Montana State University; Sutton, John, RMC Research Corporation.
- Montana State University Retention Grants. A mastery intervention in college algebra. $9958 to conduct retention and success research in college algebra (2011-2012)
PI: Hays, Tom
Co-PI: Yopp, David
- Idaho sub-award of a U. S. Department of Education Mathematics/Science Partnership Grant (MSP)
Strengthening Strands: Improving Math Content and Pedagogy in Middle School Teachers for Minidoka and Cassia Counties (2006-2009)
$495,000 to conduct a research study on the effects of professional development provided community college STEM faculty on the teaching practices of middle school teachers.
PI: Yopp, David, The College of Southern Idaho.
Co-PI: Meade, Constance, The College of Southern Idaho.
- Coach Trainer, Browning School District, 2008.
- Inter-rater Reliability Trainer for Classroom Observers, MSU Center for Learning and Teaching in the West, 2008
- Inter-rater Reliability Trainer for Classroom Observers, Montana Learning Center, 2008
- Inter-rater Reliability Trainer for Classroom Observers, Montana State University-Billings, 2008
- External Evaluator, Strengthening Strands, Idaho Math Science Partnership Grant, 2007-2009.
- Internal Evaluator, Gallatin to Glacier, Montana Math Science Partnership Grant, 2007-2008.