Request More Information
A recipe for food innovation.
How foods are made, kept safe, the way they are packaged, even the way they taste, feel or look, are all results of food science.
In this program, you will study biology, chemistry, nutrition, engineering and other sciences. You will learn to apply this knowledge in the laboratory to research and develop new or improved food and beverage products with novel flavors, textures and colors.
Much of your education will take place in the on-campus labs, where you could examine food-spoiling bacteria, analyze foodborne pathogens, collect taste-sensory data, or learn how to process and package meat, dairy and cereal products.
This program could be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy sciences like microbiology and chemistry
- Like to do ”hands on” lab and classroom experiments
- Are interested in improving nutrition and quality of foods
- Work well as part of a team
- Are imaginative and creative
With this degree, you could become a/an:
- Food product developer
- Food research scientist
- Food quality assurance manager
- Confection technologist
- Flavor chemist
- Sensory scientist
- Pet food developer
- Food safety microbiologist
- Regulatory inspector
- Technical sales representative
- Food plant operations manager
Animal & Veterinary Science, B.S.