Contact and Location

Asset Accounting

Asset Accounting and Property Management

Physical Location
Bruce Pitman Center, Room 045

Mailing Address
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4243
Moscow, ID 83844-4243

Phone: (208) 885-4070
Fax: (208) 885-0691

Vehicle and Vessel Licensing and Registration

  • What are exempt plates?

    Exempt plates are special license plates issued to vehicles owned by a state, city, county, tax district or irrigation project and are therefore exempt from registration fees.

  • Who issues and transfers exempt plates?

    All exempt plates are issued by the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) upon request by the University of Idaho Property Management Office (PMO).

  • How much are the fees?

    Exempt license plate fee – $23.00

    Transfer fee – $5.00

    Duplicate registration fee – $3.00

  • If one vehicle license plate is lost, can I request a single plate replacement?

    No – an entirely new set must be issued.

  • Can trailers be issued exempt plates?

    Yes – exempt trailer plates are issued with a prefix of A. If the trailer weighs over 2,000 pounds, a title is required to obtain an exempt plate. If the trailer weighs 2,000 pounds or less, no title is required.

  • Can motorcycles be issued exempt plates?

    Yes – exempt motorcycle plates are issued with a prefix of M.

  • Do off-highway vehicles (OHVs) such as motorbikes, ATVs and UTVs require license plates and registration stickers?

    Yes – all OHVs must display restricted vehicle license plates and current registration stickers for use on public lands and roads where OHV use is permitted.  The only exemptions are for OHVs used exclusively on private land for agricultural use or snow removal.

    • License plate fee – $23.00, required to be reissued every seven years
    • OHV registration sticker – no cost, required to be reissued each year

    Additional information can be found at:

  • Where does the OHV registration sticker allow me to operate?

    There are very specific rules for where OHV use is permitted. Detailed information can be found at:

  • Which University vessels (boats and other watercraft) are required to be registered?

    All motorized vessels must be registered, including sailboats, motor boats, vessels powered by electric trolling motors, jet skis, etc.  Non-motorized vessels such as canoes, rafts and kayaks do not need to be registered.  Additional information can be found at: Boating | Idaho Parks & Recreation

  • What is the Idaho Invasive Species Law and how does it apply to University vessels?

    Any motorized or non-motorized vessel operating in Idaho is required to display an Invasive Species Fund (ISF) sticker.  If the vessel is registered in Idaho, the registration fees include the ISF fee and the registration sticker doubles as the ISF sticker.  If the vessel is not registered in Idaho, the ISF sticker needs to be purchased separately.  Only inflatable non-motorized vessels less than 10 feet in length are exempt from this requirement.  Additional information can be found at:

  • Who should I contact if I sold a vehicle or vessel and the purchaser needs the title?
    All University vehicle and vessel titles are maintained by the Property Management Office (PMO). Please call (208) 885-4070.
  • Who should I contact if a University vehicle registration is missing?

    Please notify the Property Management Office (PMO) at (208) 885-4070 and provide the vehicle identification number (VIN), license plate number and budget number. The PMO will request the duplicate registration.

  • Where can I obtain a State of Idaho Auto Accident Report Guide?

    Please contact Risk Management by email or call (208) 885-7177.

  • Who should I contact if I have questions regarding vehicle insurance/accident reporting?

    Please contact Risk Management by email or call (208) 885-7177.

  • Where can I purchase University vehicle decals?
    Please contact Facilities Management at (208) 885-2102.