Goal 6: Strategic Plan
College of Graduate Studies will work closely with other colleges and programs to improve the quality of and support for the graduate faculty at University of Idaho.
Objective 1:Strengthen the criteria of the graduate faculty membership.
- Work closely with the Graduate Council, Faculty Senate, the Provost, and colleges to review, and revise the current university‐wide criteria of the graduate faculty membership.
- Work closely with colleges to design institutionalized procedures of implementing the aforementioned criteria.
- Seek feedback about the revised criteria and procedures from all major stakeholders before and after the implementation of them.
Objective 2:Advocate support for faculty research that involves graduate students.
- Work closely with the University Office of Research & Economic Development to increase the funding and funding opportunities for faculty research.
- Disseminate among the faculty information about faculty/student joint research opportunities.
- Generate the new funds to support faculty/student joint research projects.
Objective 3:Strengthen faculty development and enhance faculty incentives for graduate education.
- Design and offer more training workshops for graduate faculty members.
- Develop a graduate mentorship handbook that contains useful tips for mentoring graduate students.
- Seek more funds to enhance faculty incentives for effectively teaching, advising, supervising, and mentoring graduate students by giving them rewards.
Objective 4:Improve and standardize the management of graduate education across the university.
- Define and formalize the role of the Graduate Program Director at the departmental level.
- Develop a Graduate Program Director handbook that contains useful tips for graduate program management.
- Design and offer more training workshops on graduate program management to the Graduate Program Directors.
- Explore the needs for and feasibility of establishing the Graduate Studies Committee at college level.