College of Graduate Studies will enhance the graduate student
experience with increased support and dedication to excellence.
Increase financial support for graduate teaching and research assistants.
- Work with the University senior administrators and Deans to design and implement
strategies to increase and streamline awarding teaching assistantships.
- Work with departments and Faculty Senate to ensure awards are not cut for
students in lieu of budgetary cutbacks.
- Seek funding to package all teaching assistantship awards with stipend, in‐state fees,
and if necessary, out‐of‐state fees.
- Advocate competitive stipends for Teaching Assistants and Research Assistants.
Increase and advocate across campus for greater academic support at the
- Make available various types of enrichment programs for graduate students (e.g.,
seminars concerning the writing of theses and dissertations, Writing Center Support,
online tutorials, TA Training).
- Provide professional development possibilities through such organizations as the
Graduate and Professional Student Association.
- Provide support and special events for underrepresented groups of students.
- Work with the International Programs Office to support international graduate
students, particularly during their first year.
- Develop yearly electronic student handbook that streamlines and organizes
information, policies, and procedures on graduate education.
- Work with Office of Research Assurances to assess and address training needs
- Increase opportunities of recognizing high quality graduate student research,
teaching, and service.
- Work with the UI Library to implement the electronic thesis and dissertation