Take Action




Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


Brian Kennedy

Certificate Programs

Certificates are designed for working professionals who wish to develop their expertise. Both certificates build a strong foundation for a master's degree at a future date. Credits earned through a certificate program can be transferred to our masters program in Environmental Science, as well as to Water Resources, and the Professional Science Masters.

Water Science Certificate

The water science certificate provides background and depth in the concepts and tools currently used in water science, including emphases in water quality, hydrology, and water management and policy.
» Learn more. 

Environmental Contamination Certificate 

The environmental contamination assessment certificate will lead to a significant depth of knowledge in environmental toxicology, risk assessment, environmental sampling design/data analysis and reporting.
» Learn more.

How to Apply

To be admitted into a certificate program, you must first apply to the University of Idaho as a non-degree student. All students must meet the minimum GPA admission requirement of 2.8 or higher to enroll in 500 or higher level courses for a certificate. 

Once you have been accepted, inform the Environmental Science office at (208) 885-6113 or envs@uidaho.edu. We will fill out the necessary paperwork to move you into a certificate program. Alecia Hoene, the EnvS distance education advisor, will help you register and get started.     
Prior to starting work on a certificate, students must have completed an undergraduate degree in a related field from an accredited institution. Course credits earned as an undergraduate student may not be applied toward a certificate. Contact the certificate coordinator for course alternatives if you successfully completed any of the required courses as part of your undergraduate degree program.