College of Natural Resources
With UI Since 2001
Department of Forest, Rangeland, and Fire Sciences
Professor, Biomaterials and Bioproducts
M.S. University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand May 1986
Post Graduate Diploma in Science in Chemistry University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand May 1984
Ph.D. Philosophy York University Toronto, Ontario, Canada June 1993
Carbohydrate chemistry & biochemistry
Wood materials chemistry & wood science
Biopolymer and biomaterials science
Natural products chemistry
- Dobroth, Z.T., Hu, S., Coats*, E.R., McDonald, A.G. (2011) Polyhydroxybutyrate Synthesis on biodiesel production waste stream using Mixed Microbial Consortia. Bioresource Technology, 102:3352–3359.
- Sivasankarapillai, G., McDonald, A.G. (2011) Synthesis and properties of lignin-highly branched poly(ester-amine) polymeric systems, Biomass and Bioenergy, 35:919-931.
- Fabiyi, J.S., McDonald, A.G., (2010) Physical morphology and quantitative characterization of chemical changes of weathered PVC/pine composites. J Polym Environ. 18:57–64.
- Fox, S.C., McDonald, A.G. (2010) Chemical and Thermal Characterizaion of three Industrial Lignins and their Corresponding Lignin Esters. BioResources J. 5(2):990-1009.
- Wood solubilization and depolymerization by supercritical methanol. Part 2: Analysis of methanol soluble compounds. Soria, A.J., McDonald, A.G., He, B.B. (2008). Holzforschung 62: 409–416.
You can view a full list of publications in Armando McDonald's CV.
- Biobased composite materials research which includes fiber modifications and product prototype development.
- Synthesis of lignin based polymers for use as thermoplastics and adhesives.
- Biosynthesis and property evaluation of the bioplastic, polyhydroxyalkanoates.
- Proteomic studies on wood formation in Douglas-fir.
- Biomass syngas upgrading to biofuels by catalytic conversion.
- Generation of bio-oils from pyrolysis of biomass.
- Conversion of biomass waste into value added bioproducts.
- NZ-FRI Achievement in Science Award for Inter-disciplinary Science, April 1997.
- Carter Holt Harvey-New Ventures Ideas to Business Entrepreneur Awards 2001: Business Case, October 2001.