College of Natural Resources
With UI Since 2001
Department of Forest, Rangeland, and Fire Sciences
Professor, Biomaterials and Bioproducts
M.S. University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand May 1986
Post Graduate Diploma in Science in Chemistry University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand May 1984
Ph.D. Philosophy York University Toronto, Ontario, Canada June 1993
Carbohydrate chemistry and biochemistry
Wood materials chemistry and wood science
Biopolymer and Biomaterials science
Natural products chemistry
- Wei, L., Guho, N., Coats, E.R., McDonald, A.G., (2014) Characterization of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) biosynthesized by mixed microbial consortia fed fermented dairy manure. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. DOI: 10.1002/app.40333.
- Luo, G., Kengne, B-A.F., McIlroy, D.N., McDonald, A.G. (2014) A novel nano Fischer-Tropsch catalyst for the production of hydrocarbons. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy. DOI 10.1002/ep.11916.
- Pohjanlehto, H., Setälä, H.M., Kiely, D.E., McDonald, A.G. (2014) Lignin-xylaric acid-polyurethane based polymer network systems: preparation and characterization. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 131(1): DOI: 10.1002/app.39714.
- Wang, Z., Pecha, B., Westerhof, R., Kersten, S., Li, C-Z., McDonald, A.G., Garcia-Perez, M. (2014) Effect of cellulose crystallinity on solid/liquid phase reactions responsible for the formation of carbonaceous residues during slow pyrolysis. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 53(8): 2940–2955.
- Zhou, S., Garcia-Perez, M., Pecha, B., McDonald, A.G., Kersten, S. Westerhof, R. (2014) Effect of particle size on the composition of lignin derived oligomers obtained by fast pyrolysis of beech wood. Fuel. 125:15-19.
You can view a full list of publications in Armando McDonald's CV.
- Biobased composite materials research which includes fiber modifications and product prototype development.
- Synthesis of lignin based polymers for use as thermoplastics and adhesives.
- Biosynthesis and property evaluation of the bioplastic, polyhydroxyalkanoates.
- Proteomic studies on wood formation in Douglas-fir.
- Biomass syngas upgrading to biofuels by catalytic conversion.
- Generation of bio-oils from pyrolysis of biomass.
- Conversion of biomass waste into value added bioproducts.
- NZ-FRI Achievement in Science Award for Inter-disciplinary Science, April 1997.
- Carter Holt Harvey-New Ventures Ideas to Business Entrepreneur Awards 2001: Business Case, October 2001.