College of Natural Resources
Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
Assistant Leader, Idaho Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
Campus Locations: Idaho Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
With UI Since 2010
Ph.D. 2002 Kansas State University Biology
M.S. 1999 Kansas State University Biology
B.S. 1996 University of Idaho
Applied Fish Ecology
Age and Growth of Fishes
My program focuses on answering questions related to the management and conservation of aquatic systems. The impetus for my research emerges from issues and concerns related to the management of sport fisheries and conservation of native fishes. Consequently, I frame my research questions and approaches in a manner that has relevance to the general scientific community and natural resource managers.
Fischer, J. R., N. P. Johnson, R. D. Schultz, and M. C. Quist. In press. A comparison of modified fyke nets for evaluating fish assemblages and population structure. Journal of Freshwater Ecology.
- Hubert, W. A., and M. C. Quist, editors. In press. Inland fisheries management in North America, third edition. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Quist, M. C., J. L. Stephen, S. T. Lynott, C. S. Guy, J. M. Goeckler, and R. D. Schultz. In press. Exploitation of walleyes in a Great Plains reservoir: harvest patterns and management scenarios. Fisheries Management and Ecology.
- Smith, C. D., T. E. Neebling, and M. C. Quist. In press. Population dynamics of sand shiners in Iowa’s non-wadeable rivers. Journal of Freshwater Ecology.
- Fischer, J. R., M. C. Quist, S. L. Wigen, A. J. Schaefer, T. W. Stewart, and T. M. Isenhart. 2010. Assemblage and population level responses of stream fish to riparian buffers at multiple spatial scales. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139:185-200.
- Jackson, Z. J., M. C. Quist, J. A. Downing, and J. G. Larscheid. 2010. Common carp (Cyprinus carpio), sport fishes, and water quality: ecological thresholds in agriculturally eutrophic lakes. Lake and Reservoir Management 26:14-22.
- Koch, J. D., and M. C. Quist. 2010. Current status and trends in shovelnose sturgeon (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) management and conservation. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 26:491-498.
- Neebling, T. E., and M. C. Quist. 2010. Relationships between fish assemblages and habitat characteristics in Iowa’s non-wadeable rivers. Fisheries Management and Ecology 17:369-385.
Quist, M. C., J. L. Stephen, S. T. Lynott, J. M. Goeckler, and R. D. Schultz. 2010. An evaluation of angler harvest of walleye and saugeye in a Kansas reservoir. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 25:1-7.
Spiegel, J. R., M. C. Quist, and J. E. Morris. 2010. Precision of scales and pectoral fin rays for estimating age of highfin carpsucker, quillback carpsucker, and river carpsucker. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 25:271-278.
*You can view a full list of publications and awards in Michael's Curriculum Vitae.