Schroeter, J. and B.C. Small. 2015. Elucidating the roles of gut hormones on channel catfish appetite, glycemia, and hypothalamic NPY and POMC expression. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 188:168-174.
Fenn, C.M. and B.C. Small. 2015. Exogenous recombinant bovine growth hormone stimulates growth and hepatic IGF expression in shovelnose sturgeon Scaphirhynchus platorhynchus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 180:18-22.
Kittel, E.C. and B.C. Small. 2014. Effect of Altering Dietary Protein: Energy Ratios on Juvenile Pallid Sturgeon Growth Performance. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 76:28-35.
Nelson, L.R. and B.C. Small. 2014. Stress response in pallid sturgeon Scaphirhynchus albus exposed to high ammonia levels, low dissolved oxygen concentrations, and crowding stress. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 76:170-177.
Kittel, E.C., W.M. Sealey, and B.C. Small. 2014. Preliminary investigation of dietary soy sensitivity in Shovelnose Sturgeon. J. Appl. Aquacult. 26:256-369. Pohlenz, C. A. Buentello, T. Miller, B.C. Small, D.S. MacKenziee, and D. Gatlin III. 2013. Effects of dietary arginine on endocrine growth factors of channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 166:215-21.
Fenn, C.M., D.C. Glover, and B.C. Small. 2013. Efficacy of Aqui-S® 20E as a sedative for handling and cortisol suppression in pallid sturgeon. N. Am. J. Fish. Manag. 33:1172-1178.
Peterson,B.C., G.C. Waldbieser, L.G. Riley Jr., K.R. Upton, Y. Kobayashi, B.C. Small. 2012. Pre- and postprandial changes in orexigenic and anorexigenic factors in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Gen. Comp. Endocrin. 176:213-239.
Tapia, P.J., M.C. Puebla, A. Muñoz, E. Rojas, C.M. Marchant, M.A. Cornejo, M. Futagawa, and B.C. Small. 2012. Evaluation of the cortisol stress response in a marine perciform fish, the San Pedro Oplegnathus Insignis. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 74:438-442.
- Gary L. Minish Outstanding Advisor/Mentor Award, Southern Illinois University (2015)
- CURCA (Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities) Faculty Mentor Award of Excellence, Southern Illinois University (2015)
- Early Career Faculty Excellence Award, College of Agricultural Sciences, Southern Illinois University (2014)
- Congressional Legion of Honor award, International Congress on the Biology of Fish, Edinburgh, Scotland (2014)
- Distinguished Early Career Award in U.S. Aquaculture, United States Aquaculture Society, A Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society (2007)
- Early Career Research Scientist Award, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (2006)
Brian Small, Ph.D.
Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station
208-837-9096 ext. 1108
- 1998 Ph.D. Fish Nutrition/Physiology/Aquaculture, University of Maryland
- 1992 B.A. Marine Science and Chemistry, Kutztown University
Physiology and nutrition of aquacultured and wild fishes