Brian Small, Ph.D.
Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station
208-837-9096 ext. 1108
- 1998 Ph.D. Fish Nutrition/Physiology/Aquaculture, University of Maryland
- 1992 B.A. Marine Science and Chemistry, Kutztown University
Physiology and nutrition of aquacultured and wild fishes
Schroeter, J. and B.C. Small. 2015. Elucidating the roles of gut hormones on channel catfish appetite, glycemia, and hypothalamic NPY and POMC expression. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 188:168-174.
Fenn, C.M. and B.C. Small. 2015. Exogenous recombinant bovine growth hormone stimulates growth and hepatic IGF expression in shovelnose sturgeon Scaphirhynchus platorhynchus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 180:18-22.
Kittel, E.C. and B.C. Small. 2014. Effect of Altering Dietary Protein: Energy Ratios on Juvenile Pallid Sturgeon Growth Performance. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 76:28-35.
Nelson, L.R. and B.C. Small. 2014. Stress response in pallid sturgeon Scaphirhynchus albus exposed to high ammonia levels, low dissolved oxygen concentrations, and crowding stress. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 76:170-177.
Kittel, E.C., W.M. Sealey, and B.C. Small. 2014. Preliminary investigation of dietary soy sensitivity in Shovelnose Sturgeon. J. Appl. Aquacult. 26:256-369. Pohlenz, C. A. Buentello, T. Miller, B.C. Small, D.S. MacKenziee, and D. Gatlin III. 2013. Effects of dietary arginine on endocrine growth factors of channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 166:215-21.
Fenn, C.M., D.C. Glover, and B.C. Small. 2013. Efficacy of Aqui-S® 20E as a sedative for handling and cortisol suppression in pallid sturgeon. N. Am. J. Fish. Manag. 33:1172-1178.
Peterson,B.C., G.C. Waldbieser, L.G. Riley Jr., K.R. Upton, Y. Kobayashi, B.C. Small. 2012. Pre- and postprandial changes in orexigenic and anorexigenic factors in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Gen. Comp. Endocrin. 176:213-239.
Tapia, P.J., M.C. Puebla, A. Muñoz, E. Rojas, C.M. Marchant, M.A. Cornejo, M. Futagawa, and B.C. Small. 2012. Evaluation of the cortisol stress response in a marine perciform fish, the San Pedro Oplegnathus Insignis. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 74:438-442.
- Gary L. Minish Outstanding Advisor/Mentor Award, Southern Illinois University (2015)
- CURCA (Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities) Faculty Mentor Award of Excellence, Southern Illinois University (2015)
- Early Career Faculty Excellence Award, College of Agricultural Sciences, Southern Illinois University (2014)
- Congressional Legion of Honor award, International Congress on the Biology of Fish, Edinburgh, Scotland (2014)
- Distinguished Early Career Award in U.S. Aquaculture, United States Aquaculture Society, A Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society (2007)
- Early Career Research Scientist Award, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (2006)