Professor of Design and Technology
Theatre Arts Department
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 2008
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2008
Dean Panttaja is a professor of design and technology at the University of Idaho and is a freelance professional lighting and scenic designer.
- Ph.D., Educational Administration, University of Idaho, 1995
- M.F.A., Scenic & Lighting Design, Humboldt State University, 1983
- B.A., Fine Arts, Humboldt State University, 1980
Dean Panttaja is a professor of design, technology and management and a freelance professional lighting and scenic designer.
A recipient of the Idaho Commission of the Arts Fellowship in the Performing Arts for his design work in 2000, his professional credits include the Colorado Shakespeare Festival, the Tacoma Actors Guild, Santa Barbara Repertory Theatre, the Pacific Art Center, Spokane InterPlayers, Idaho Repertory Theatre, Idaho Theatre for Youth, Festival Dance and Performing Arts, the Falaki Theatre in Cairo, Egypt, Dark Horse Productions (Film) and Showtime (TV). His most recent work was “Twelfth Night” for the Idaho Repertory Theatre.
- Lighting design
- Scenic design
- Arts management
- Arts production
- Educational administration
- Community and arts collaboration
- Drake, T., O'Rourke, M., Panttaja, D., and Peterson, I. (2008) “It's Alive! The Life Span of an Interdisciplinary Course in the Humanities.” JGE: The Journal of General Education 57: 223-243.
*See CV for full listings of publications, research, outreach and awards.
- "Spring Awakening," Scenic and Lighting Design, American University, Cairo, 2017
- "Askar We Haramiya," Scenic and Lighting Designer, American University, Cairo, 2016
- “A Midsummer Night Dream,” Malak Gabr Theatre, AUC, Cairo, Egypt
- “Twelfth Night,” Scenic Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2008
- “Elvis People,” Lighting Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2007
- “No Fish In The House,” Scenic Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2007
- “Summer of 42,” Lighting Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2007
- “She Stoops to Conquer,” Lighting Designer, Columbia Basin College, Pasco, WA, 2006
- “Lend Me a Tenor,” Scenic Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2006
- “Grace & Glorie,” Scenic Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2006
- “I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change,” Scenic Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2006
- “Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead,” Lighting & Scenic Designer, American University, Cairo, 2006
- “Santa Land,” Lighting Designer, Idaho Repertory Theatre, 2005
- “The Mystery of Irma Vep,” Lighting Designer, Spokane Interplayers, 2005
- “Othello,” Lighting & Scenic Designer, Spokane InterPlayers, 2005
- “A Christmas Carol” (Ballet), Scenic & Lighting Designer, Festival Dance & Performing Arts, 2004
- “Dracula,” Lighting Designer, Spokane InterPlayers, 2004
- “The Seahorse,” Lighting Designer, Tacoma Actors Guild, 2004
- “Moss Gown,” Scenic Designer (Revival), Idaho Shakespeare Festival, 2003
- “Educating Rita,” Lighting Designer, Tacoma Actors Guild, 2003
- Visiting Professor, American University, Cairo, Egypt, 2017
- “High School Musical” – One Act, Moscow, Idaho Theatre for Youth, Idaho Repertory Theatre: Community outreach production 2009 season utilizing area junior and senior high school students.
- “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,” Kendrick, Potlatch, Genesee, Pullman & Moscow, Idaho Theatre for Youth, Idaho Repertory Theatre: Community outreach production 2008 season.
- Idaho Repertory Theatre for Youth Summer Workshops and Apprentice Program to the Idaho Repertory Theatre, Ongoing
- Thoron Distinguished Visiting Professor in the Performing and Visual Arts at American University in Cairo, 2017
- Confucius Institute Chinese Film Night, Guest Speaker, 2015
- Canadian Studies Fellow, Pacific Northwest Canadian Studies Institute, Canada, 2009
- Lighting Design Fellowship, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, D.C. 2006
- Fellowship in the Arts, Theatre, State of Idaho, Idaho Commission on the Arts, 2000
- International Association of Theatre for Children and Young People (ASSITEJ), “Moby Dick” (North American Representative to the 12th World Congress), Scenic Designer, Rostov-on-Don, Russia, 1996