Theatre students have a variety of work and performance spaces at the University of Idaho. Students gain experience working with state-of-the-art lighting and sound systems. Our largest venue, the Hartung Theater, also has fully-equipped shops for scenic and costume construction.
The 417-seat Hartung Theater, built in 1973, is an intimate space in which to experience theatre. It is one of two main stages for academic productions, as well as being the home of Idaho Repertory Theatre
, UI's resident professional summer theatre company.
- A semi-thrust proscenium stage which is trapped and features an orchestra pit
- Two backstage and two vomitory entrances
- ETC dimmer /circuit digital lighting and an inventory of 200 lighting fixtures and 6 intelligent lighting fixtures controlled by a Whole Hog IPC.
- Digital sound system controlled by a Yamaha OM1-V
- Five over house catwalks, stage right & stage left cheek positions, 3 over stage electrics, and far upstage cyclorama and strip light lighting positions
- Newly renovated counterweight fly system
Backstage includes fully-equipped shops for both set and costume construction, prop storage, dressing rooms and makeup studios. The front-of-house features two small galleries for display of production designs and a spacious lobby that functions as an art gallery during production runs.
The Forge is a 90-seat multi-configurable theatre space located at 404 Sweet Avenue at the east end of campus on the corner of Sweet Avenue and Railroad Street, next to the Intermodal Transit Building. The space was designed to inspire experimentation in a theatrical "laboratory" where process is valued over product. To that end, Forge productions are often staged simply, without reliance on elaborate sets, costumes and other typical trappings of our Main Stage Series. The focus is on doing the work - much of it original, written and independently produced by our students. Free parking is available after 5 p.m. and on weekends on the street and in the lot behind The Forge.
- ETC dimmer / circuit lighting system with an Expression 3 controller
- Separate lighting inventory from the Hartung Theater including Source Four Junior Zooms
- Automated instruments
- Digital sound system utilizing a Mackie board and Meyer Sound System
The Arena Theater
The Arena Theater is a 50-seat performance studio used to showcase student work in a black box setting.
Shoup Hall is the department's home
base. It houses all faculty and administrative offices as well as performance/rehearsal studios, design labs, graduate offices and a student lounge. Located on the corner of Sixth and Rayburn streets, it's minutes from the Hartung Theater.
UI Department of Theatre Arts rents the Hartung and Forge theaters to campus and community entities as well as students. View pricing details here.
For more information or to schedule a rental, contact