David Christopher DuVal
College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
Department of Theatre Arts
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 2009
M.F.A. – University of California Irvine (Drama) – emphasis in Acting, 1998
B.A. – California State University, Fullerton (Theatre Arts) – emphasis in Theatre Arts, 1994
Voice and Speech studies in relationship to the physical life of the actor
Christopher is an Assistant Professor of Theatre teaching Stage Combat, Movement for the Actor, Voice / Speech for the Actor, and Acting Shakespeare. He has worked as an actor. fight director and guest instructor throughout the country. Academically, he has been a guest artist and instructor at such universities as North Carolina School of the Arts, Stanford University, San Jose State University, Southern Utah University, Southern Oregon University, California Institute of Technology, Chapman University, Pomona College, and California State University Fresno, among others.
As both an actor and fight director, Christopher’s work has been seen at such regional theatres as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (11 seasons), Dallas Theatre Center, South Coast Repertory (3 seasons), Sacramento Theatre Company, Laguna Playhouse, Shakespeare Orange County (3 seasons), Utah Shakespeare Festival (3 seasons), Syracuse Stage, John Anson Ford Theatre, Will Geer Theatre, Riverside Civic Light Opera, and on a Caribbean cruise.
He is a Certified Teacher with the Society of American Fight Directors, is recognized as a Senior Level Instructor of Theatrical Combat with Dueling Arts International, and has earned a 1st degree Black Belt in Aikido. In addition, Christopher is a member of the Voice and Speech Trainers Association and the Association of Theatre Movement Educators.
He holds a B.A. in Theatre Arts from California State University, Fullerton and an M.F.A. in Acting from the University of California, Irvine.
- Interview with Fight Master Emeritus of the Society of American Fight Directors - David Boushey – published in the journal THE FIGHT MASTER in 2009
Christopher's complete CV
- 11-year company member at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival
- Grant awarded from the Oregon Arts Commission in 2009 to intensively study the art of fight direction and theatrical combat, at such institutions as the Denver Theatre Center and Willamette University
- Seed Grant awarded from the University of Idaho for the purchase of mats and theatre training masks to facilitate future growth in the movement and voice curriculum
- Advising and mentoring
- Michael and Jan Finlayson Award for Excellence in Acting – Utah Shakespeare Festival (1997)