About this Timeline
- This timeline is intended for basic guidance for federal and government grants. Proposals for foundations and corporations have a wide variety of timelines. Also each sponsor has specific proposal components that must be calculated into the overall timeline.
- Visit the ORED Proposal Development website and utilize our resources and services specific to proposal development and funding source location.
- Be certain to seek guidance from your departmental administrator on proposal budget and UI’s internal routing processes well in advance of your deadline.
- Seek guidance from your departmental administrator in the use of this timeline and how it may be affected by UI’s internal routing processes.
- Contact ORED at 208-885-6689.
Sample Research Timeline
1. Conduct continuous, thorough literature review to identify gaps in knowledge and experts in the field.
2. Identify specific aims of project based on your research vision, plan, preliminary data results and literature review results.
3. For proposal development information contact:
The Office of Research & Economic Development (ORED) 208-885-6689
The Office of Special Programs (OSP) 208-885-6651
4. Target agencies based on their objectives and how they relate to your specific project.
5. Research targeted agencies to ensure a good fit with your project.
6. Read agency guidelines and instructions. (OSP can help with this)
7. Create checklist of agency requirements.
8. Begin drafting proposal budget to ensure project goals can be met; consult with Alisa Goolsby.
9. Obtain advice/ guidance from colleagues and sponsor sources (e.g., program officers).
10. Know your potential reviewers (your audience).
11. Write proposal draft.
12. Put proposal draft aside for a time, then edit.
13. Employ outside readers to review proposal draft, provide comments.
14. Start EIPRS process – contact Alisa Goolsby.
15. If necessary; edit proposal based on outside reader comments (this process may continue until close to proposal submission).
16. Finalize proposal budget and well-defined justification, in consultation with Alisa Goolsby.
17. Write abstract/summary.
18. If necessary, edit proposal based on outside reader comments (this process may continue until close to proposal submission).
21. Submit proposal to funding agency after internal reviews are complete.