The basic knowledge exam will include test items from the following courses:
- ME 409 - Human Factors Engineering
- PSYC 325/525 - Cognitive Psychology
- PSYC 444 - Sensation and Perception
- PSYC 446 - Engineering Psychology
- PSYC 550 - Training and Skill Acquisition
- PSYC 552 - Ergonomics and Biomechanics
- PSYC 561 - Human Factors Design
- PSYC 562 - Advanced Human Factors
Questions for each course will take 15 minutes to complete.
Item formats will vary.
- Multiple choice
- Short answer
- Essay answers
All are possible. Expect a mix of item types.
Unfortunately, no study guide will ever be complete. This guide is no exception. The challenge is to provide directions that promote the acquisition of knowledge and understanding.
A common concern among faculty members is that study guides will limit students’ studying rather than expand it. The intent of the comprehensive exam is to ensure students have, as the degree suggests, mastered the basics of the discipline.
In preparation for the exam, review each course and identify the broad topic areas.
- The faculty members or their appointees will grade the exam.
- Your grades for each course will be averaged to produce a final grade.
- You must pass the exam with a minimum of 70% overall average before proceeding to the applied portion.