Student Health Center 218
Department of Psychology & Communication Studies
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 443043
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3043
Annette Folwell's research interests in aging (lifespan developmental) studies, family communication, health communication and instructional communication.
- Ph.D., Department of Communication, University of Oklahoma
- M.A., University of Montana
- B.A., University of Puget Sound
Annette Folwell teaches communication research methods as well as gender, aging and conflict management courses; her research centers on instructional communication issues as well as the older adult relationships, particularly marital, sibling and grandparent-grandchild relationships. Folwell’s research has been published in Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Journal of Language and Social Psychology and Journal of the Northwest Communication Association.
- Family Communication
- Lifespan Communication
- Instructional Communication
- Grant, J., & Folwell, A.L. (2007). Going away to college: A family turning point. In L. Arnold (Ed.) Family communication theories and research. Boston, Massachusetts: Allyn & Bacon.
- Folwell, A.L., & Grant, J. (2006). Adult grandchildren’s accounts of closeness and changes in their grandparent relationships. Journal of the Northwest Communication Association, 35, 1-22.
- Folwell, A.L. (2000). A comparison of professors’ and students’ perceptions of nonverbal immediacy behaviors. Journal of the Northwest Communication Association, 29, 14-29.
- Nussbaum, J.F., Pecchioni, L.L., Grant, J., & Folwell, A.L. (2000). Explaining illness to older adults: The complexities of the provider-patient interaction as we age. In B. Whaley (Ed.), Explaining illness: Theory, research, and strategies (pp. 174-199). Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- University of Idaho Advising Excellence Award, University of Idaho, 2009
- Hometown Spirit Faculty Award, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 2007
- Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 2005
- (2) Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 2004
- Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 2002