The Hemlock Papers is a student-run philosophy journal based at the University of Idaho. We are in search of original philosophical papers authored by current undergraduates.
The Hemlock Papers is open to all branches of philosophy. We aim to publish essays that can be read and understood by a general audience, so please keep technicality to a minimum. Papers will be peer-reviewed. Acceptance for publication will be based on the following criteria: creativity, originality, pertinence, quality and depth. Papers should not exceed 5,000 words, including footnotes. We ask that only one paper be submitted per applicant.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced and typed in 12-point font.
- A brief abstract should be included on the manuscript’s first page.
- The right margin should not be justified.
- We strongly prefer footnotes to endnotes. Any uniform citation style is acceptable.
- Papers will be peer-reviewed anonymously, so we request that you submit manuscripts with a title page including name, affiliation, email and title. Please remove any identifiers from the main text of the paper that would suggest its author.
Papers should be emailed in Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx) or Adobe PDF format as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.