Chair, Senior Instructor of Spanish, Spanish Section Coordinator, MLC Academic Study Abroad Advisor
Administration Bldg. 314
Modern Languages & Cultures Department
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3174
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3174
Irina Kappler-Crookston is the chair of the Modern Language and Cultures Department and a senior instructor in Spanish.
- M.A., Spanish Literature (Iberian Studies), Washington State University, 1988
- Post-Graduate Diploma, Hispanic Studies, Universidad Complutenses de Madrid, 1980
- B.A., French and Spanish Language and Literature, Washington State University, 1978
- Second and third language acquisition
- Intercultural communications
- Cultural and linguistic changes due to immigration patterns
- Spanish and Latin American culture and literature
- Completed Fulbright Grant for a Fulbright Japanese teaching assistant for 2016-17 (submitted 1/10/2016)
- Co-PI International Programs Grant to take 15 UI Honors students to Ecuador (Summer 2015) $5,000
- PI Japan Foundation Grant to hire Japanese Instructor, 2015. $14,000
- PI Japan Foundation Grant to hire Japanese Instructor, 2014. $14,000
- UI Fulbright Gateway Orientation (organizer first year). Presented Sessions August 2014 and 2015
- Abstract Reviewer for UI Micron-Idaho STEM Innovation Conference, 2012.
- PI Micron STEM grant to fund a bilingual STEM-related summer camp for Head Start, Jerome, ID, 2012. $7,991
- Fulbright Grant to bring FLTA Arabic from Egypt to MLC, 2012
- Fulbright Grant to bring FLTA Arabic from Morocco to MLC, 2011
- Fulbright Grant to bring FLTA Arabic from Saudi Arabia to MLC, 2010
- University of Idaho STEM research projects in Boise and Jerome as a participant. Spanish Interviewer, 2010-2011
- Co-PI: SBOE Technology Incentive Grant to create Spanish Transition hybrid course (2007). $65,000
- Co-PI: Fulbright Hayes Grant that gave BSU, ISU and UI fund to take 21 teachers and future teachers of Spanish to Quito, Ecuador, for a 5-week seminar (1993). $43,000
- Moscow High School: Provide support in the teaching of a second language to teachers, in particular with Extended Learning Internships (ELI).
- University of Guadalajara, Mexico: provide cultural and language support for Moscow High School students and teachers on a turtle conservation station.
- Oaxaca, Mexico: provide cultural and language support for Moscow High School students and teachers at a turtle conservation station and research aquarium.
- Local Schools: provide international and cultural activities.
- Local Schools: presentations about study abroad opportunities, higher education and careers.
- Alumni Award for Excellence, December 2015, 2014, 2002, 1992
- International Studies Program Distinguished Service Award, 2010
- University of Idaho Martin Luther King Distinguished Service Award, 2008
- UI Friend of the Martin Award, Martin School of International Studies, May 2008
- Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity “Hermana de Apoyo” Award. May 2007
- College Assistance Migrant Program Faculty Appreciation Award, May 2007
- Idaho Foreign Language Teacher of the Year Award 2005-2006
- University of Idaho Advisor of the Year Award, 2004
- University of Idaho Service Learning Faculty Fellow, 2003
- Fifth Player for the Woman’s Basketball Team, University of Idaho, 2000 (Faculty Award)