Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


Historical Background

Kooskia Internment Camp has a complex, multilayered occupational history that spans both prehistoric and historic periods. Though the site is a known camping and hunting ground of the Nez Perce (Sappington and Carley 1989), the work proposed in this research design focuses specifically on the historical period in which internees occupied the site.

Historic Period

Besides the Nez Perce's long-term occupation, the site witnessed new visitors in the 1800s and early 1900s. In September 1893, 27 year-old William P. Carlin of Vancouver, 28 year-old engineer A. L. A. Himmelwright, and 30 year-old John Harvey Pierce of While Plains, New York, met in Spokane and set out for a hunting trip along in the vicinity of Kooskia Internment Camp. They were guided by Martin C. Spencer and brought 52 year-old George Colegate of Post Falls, Idaho, along as a cook. During their trek, they camped at Apgar Creek and fished at the mouth of Canyon Creek (Space 1980:40). A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp, which also went by the names of Camp F-38 and Camp 38, was built along the Lochsa River in June 1933 (Sappington and Carley 1989:16). It housed 200 individuals who constructed roads, established telephone lines, and fought fires (Sappington and Carley 1989:16). The camp closed in October 1933. 

Two years later (August 1935), the CCC camp was once again occupied by "federal convicts from Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, along with officials and guards" (Elsensohn 1951:55 in Sappington and Carley 1989:16). Now known as Canyon Creek Prison Camp, its residents were charged with the task of constructing the Lewis and Clark Highway (Parsell 1986:40). The camp was closed in 1943 due to "war-related expenses" amassed by the Justice Bureau of Prisons (Wegars 2001:146). Many of the buildings and landscapes that the Japanese internees would later occupy were built in conjunction with Canyon Creek Prison Camp. These structures included "workshops, dormitories, a garage, a power plant, a storehouse, a barbershop, and a laundry" (Sappington and Carley1989:16). 

A portion of the proposed research involves reexamining resources cited by historians and archaeologists who have written about the region or site. This will involve a thorough scan of local newspapers and publications for information on Kooskia. These resources include the Kooskia Mountaineer, Lewiston Morning Tribune, Lochsa Pioneer (literary magazine written by prisoners at Canyon Creek Camp), Orofino Idaho County Free Press, and the Clearwater Tribune. Dr. Camp will also examine archival information held at the National Archives in Washington, DC. One file, in particular, has been identified by Dr. Priscilla Wegars (2001) as containing a significant amount of information on Kooskia; the name of this file is "INS Records Related to the Detention and Internment of Enemy Aliens during World War II, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Record Group 85."