Interim History chair, Professor
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3175
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3175
Ellen Kittell is a professor of history. Her research interests are pre-modern Europe (medieval, renaissance, reformation), women's history, social and legal history of Europe.
- Ph.D., History, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, 1983
- M.A., History, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, 1977
- B.A., History and English, Lewis and Clark College, 1973
Ellen E. Kittell is an associate professor of history at the University of Idaho. She studied at the University of Illinois where she met and debated history with a particularly talented group of graduate students and in 1983 she received her Ph.D. Initially interested in the dynamics undergirding the evolution of bureaucracy, particularly in medieval Flanders, she was startled to find a number of women listed in administrative positions of the count of Flanders. Curious, she has been investigating women in medieval Flanders ever since.
Among her publications on this subject are "Guardianship over Women in Medieval Flanders" and "Whether man or woman: Gender Inclusivity in the Town Ordinances of Medieval Douai." She is currently mining financial and judicial accounts for information on how medieval Flemish women identified themselves.
- Africa before Colonialism
- English Constitutional History
- European Women
- Pre-Modern Europe (medieval, Renaissance, Reformation)
- “Whether Man or Woman": Gender Inclusivity in the Town Ordinances of Medieval Douai” Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies 30 n. 1 (Winter 2000), 63-100.
- "Guardianship Over Women in Medieval Flanders: A Reappraisal"Journal of Social History Vol. 13 n. 4 (Summer, 1998), 897-930. Patriarchal imperialism and the narrative of women’s history inNarrative Power, L. Timmel Duchamp, ed. Seattle: Aqueduct Press, forthcoming.
- “Review of Jacques Le Goff, Saint Louis, The Historian. forthcoming.
- Exchange Teaching Viterbo, Italy, Spring 2009.
- Regional editor for the online journal History Compass.
- Five University of Idaho Alumni Association Awards for Faculty Excellence, 2001-2012.