Resources for Advisors

General Education Changes - Updated for the 2014-15 Catalog Year

University of Idaho General Education or Transfer Student General Education?

  • Students who begin their education at the University of Idaho with fewer than 14 transferable college credits from a regionally accredited institution after high school graduation are admitted as first-year students and placed on the UI General Eduction for the school year in which they were admitted. (e.g., A student admitted for the Fall 2013 semester must complete the UI General Education for the 2013-2014 catalog year.)
  • Transfer students who have completed 14 or more transferable college credits after high school graduation may choose to complete either the UI General Education or the Transfer Student General Education requirements. 
  • Students with questions about their General Education requirements should contact their academic advisor or the Advising Center.  A Change of General Education form must be submitted and is required for those students eligible to change the General Education option.

University of Idaho General Education

The University Committee on General Education, University Curriculum Committee and Faculty Senate have approved the following changes to the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 general education requirements for students, effective beginning with Catalog year 2012-13 and each following year:

    1. Catalog J-3-a: Two Communication courses (English 102, depending on placement scores, and one additional communication course for 5 credits).
    2. Catalog J-3-b: Two Natural and Applied Sciences courses (from two science courses and their labs, or an Integrated Science (CORS) course and one additional science course with a lab for 7-8 credits).
    3. Catalog J-3-c: A Math, Statistics or Computer Science course (for 3-4 credits).
    4. Catalog J-3-d: Four Humanities and Social Sciences courses (6 credits of each, for 12 credits).
    5. Catalog J-3-e: American Diversity and International courses (1 course in each, with the International 1-4 credits)  Note: certain American Diversity and International courses are cross-listed with Humanities and Social Sciences courses, identifies with a D or I, and can be used to satisfy both requirements.  The International course requirement may be waived with an approved International Program's Office study abroad experience.
    6. Catalog J-3-f: Integrated Studies:
      • An Integrated Seminar (ISEM 101 for 3 credits) course during the Fall or Spring semester of their first year.  This seminar provides first-year students with an opportunity to develop their intellectual curiosity through the study of an interdisciplinary social science/humanities approach that emphasizes critical thinking, oral and written communication skills, and an awareness of human diversity, focusing on a "human community."  The one-semester ISEM 101 seminars will be listed on the Class Schedule.    
      • A Great Issues Seminar (ISEM 301 for 1 credit).  These seminars are linked to campus-wide events and performances (“signature events” and other events of educational relevance), addressed from a multi-disciplinary approach, and offered throughout the year.  The Great Issues Seminars (ISEM 301) will be listed each semester on the Class Schedule.
      • A Senior Experience (course, internship, seminar, etc., for 1 or more credits).   This upper-division (300-400) course or experience is typically offered through one’s academic major, integrating the University Learning Outcomes with the course content.
    Note: within the J-3-d, J-3-e and J-3-f components, students much have completed courses in at least four different disciplines.  The ISEM 101 or 301 seminars do not count toward the four disciplines.

    Note: the J-3-d, J-3-e and J-3-f components are the same requirements that had been listed in the previous Catalogs as J-3-d General Core Studies, and now reconfigured into these three components.

    For list of all approved General Education course options, see the Registrar’s Catalog Listings.

    ISEM 101 Scheduling Details

    Students can choose to take the ISEM 101 seminar either in the fall or spring semester of their first year. Advisors should consider the following information as they assist students and plan their curricula: 

    • If you offer an introductory course in your major during the Fall semester, consider advising your students to take the ISEM 101 in the Spring semester. 
    • Approximately 25-27 sections of ISEM 101 will be available for Fall semester, with another 20 sections (approximately) available in the Spring 
    • Once the Fall Class Schedule is published, all ISEM 101 seminars will be listed under “ISEM.”
    • Students who do not register for a Fall ISEM 101 should be advised to complete a humanities or social science course from the approved list if their schedule permits.
    • If you do not enroll in an ISEM 101 during either fall or spring of your first year, you will have to seek an override from the General Education advisor at to register for the seminar during your sophomore year.
    • ISEM 101 seminars to not also count toward the International, Humanities or Social Science General Education requirements. 

    To ensure availability for students, groups of seats will be opened to students on each Vandal Friday. Please be aware that an ISEM 101 section may look full when in fact there are open seats coming available on the next Vandal Friday.

    ISEM 301 Scheduling Details

    Students can choose to take the ISEM 301 seminar either in the sophomore or junior year.   Advisors should consider the following information as they assist students and plan their curricula:

    • Once the Class Schedule is published, all ISEM 301 seminars will be listed under "ISEM."
    • As the ISEM 301 is tied to University "signature events" and other activities of campus-wide significance, consider the actual dates of the event in the student's overall schedule. 
    For more information