Goal 1: Teaching and Learning
Engage students in a transformational experience of discovery, understanding and global citizenship.
Our graduates will live, work, compete and prosper in a global and multicultural environment. Consequently, graduates must learn the substance of their studies and understand the values, perspectives, skills and experiences that advance humankind.
Objective A: Build and sustain innovative curricula of distinction
- Identify and publish learning outcomes that inform curricula and programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Use learning outcomes assessment proactively as a means to keep teaching and learning vital, contemporary and grounded.
- Ensure the strength of those individual disciplinary programs that lay the foundation for a vibrant, well-rounded university education.
- Provide faculty leadership and direct support to the UI core curriculum through innovative instruction in, and continuous development of, Core Discovery courses to better engage and prepare students as learners.
- Building upon strong programs in the disciplines, selectively develop interdisciplinary programs that respond to significant cultural and societal needs and that challenge, engage and influence thought.
- As appropriate, integrate extramural learning opportunities into the curriculum.
- Increase the availability of programs to students through the development of online courses, short courses and summer session course offerings.
Objective B: Develop effective integrative learning activities to engage and expand student minds.
- Create a culture recognizing exceptional teaching and outstanding student achievement.
- Encourage students to expand horizons by taking appropriate courses in other disciplines.
- Foster faculty development in areas both within and outside their own specialties.
- Coordinate coursework across disciplines.
- Foster interdisciplinary learning.
- In carefully selected courses, engage students in interdisciplinary teams to solve complex learning tasks.
- Increase opportunities for student international experiences.
- Expand learning opportunities for students in independent research and creative activity, field work and outreach, service learning, national student exchange, internships, disciplinary competitions, and involvement in professional societies.
- Provide graduate and professional students with integrated experiences in teaching, research, creative activity and outreach.
- Facilitate with appropriate alumni and professional partners, strategic recruitment, retention, and post-graduation employment and internship opportunities for students.