- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a recognized accrediting association
- Undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 or higher for the last 60 semester credits (or 90 quarter credits) or an undergraduate cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher
- Have maintained at least a 3.0 grade-point average in subsequent academic work, if any
- A TOEFL score (or equivalent English test) of at least 560 (paper test) or 83 (internet test) for non-English speaking students who have not graduated from an English-speaking institution
- The GRE is not required for the M.A. Teaching English as a Second Language program
Send materials to:
- Graduate Admissions online application
- Three confidential letters of recommendation, preferably from professors who can speak to your aptitude for graduate study in the English M.A. program. Recommenders should send letters directly to the College of Graduate Studies at the address below. There is no departmental form for recommendations. Letterhead is preferable; if letters do not come directly from the references themselves, recommendations should be signed, by the reference writer, across the envelope flap. If you are seeking a teaching assistantship, letters should also speak of your potential as a teacher of college writing.
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate courses completed at each college or university you have attended.
- A Statement of Career Objectives, not more than two double-spaced pages, including your desires and goals for the program you wish to enter.
- One to two-page Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- A writing sample of an analytical essay of 8-20 pages, preferably a paper for a course and preferably with the instructor's comments on it.
Graduate Admissions Office
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 443019
Moscow, ID 83844-3019