Associate Director of Composition
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1102
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1102
- M.A., English, University of Idaho, 2005
- M.Ed., University of Idaho, 2003
- B.S., University of Idaho, 2000
Barbara Kirchmeier joined the faculty of the English Department at the University of Idaho in 2009. She is the associate director of composition and a lecturer. Her teaching duties include writing workshop for teachers, business writing, and a variety of lower-division writing classes. Her administrative duties include scheduling teaching assistants, planning and implementing curriculum to support the statewide effort to reduce remediation, coordinating the Writing Studio tutors, and acting as the faculty liaison for dual credit instructors.
Barb attended UI from 1996 until 2005, earning a B.S. in secondary education, a M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction and a M.A. in English. Her master’s research included writing across the curriculum (specifically strategies for implementing writing-to-learn activities) and TA education.
Barb is currently a member of International Writing Centers Association, National Council of Teachers of English and participates in statewide conversations regarding First-Year Writing Across Idaho.
Barb lives in Moscow, Idaho with her husband and fellow Vandal alum, Ben, and their two children.
- Developmental and First-Year Writing
- TA Education
- Teacher Education
- Composition Theory and Pedagogy
- Online Writing Education Best Practices
- Business and Professional Writing
- Graduate Professional Student Association Teaching Excellence Award, Arizona State University, Spring 2007
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant, University of Idaho, Spring 2005
- Graduate Research Excellence, University of Idaho, Spring 2005
- Vandal Helping Hand Award, University of Idaho, Spring 2004