University of Idaho Writing Placement Options
Normally, students are placed into introductory composition courses by any one of the following test scores:
These scores are the same at all state institutions throughout Idaho (BSU, ISU, LCSC, NIC, CSI, etc.).
At the University of Idaho, you are also able to complete The Write Class
which is an online writing course placement tool which takes you through a series of questions to determine the best first-year writing course for you. You should complete The Write Class
if you feel that that your standardized test scores do not represent your writing abilities.
For enrollment in Fall 2014 courses, The Write Class process is available for you to complete.
There is no cost to complete the information on the online writing course placement tool.
You will need the following information:
- your current overall high school GPA
- ACT English or SAT Critical Reading Scores (if completed within the past five years).
You will also be asked to provide the following information if you have it:
- AP Language and Composition Scores (You can still complete The Write Class if you don't have these scores yet.)
- Information related to English 101 and/or English 102 taken as Dual Enrollment or completed at another institution.
Based on The Write Class, you will be placed into one of three options:
- English 101+English 109, Introduction to Academic Writing plus Writing Studio
- English 101, Introduction to Academic Writing
- English 102, College Writing and Rhetoric
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Diane Kelly-Riley, Director of Writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.