The Cyrus Jacobs-Uberuaga
House 2012 Archaeological
For more information contact:
Dr. Stacey Lynn Camp
CELL: (626) 429-2912
Dr. Mark Warner
The Cyrus Jacobs-Uberuaga House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was first built by Cyrus Jacobs in 1864. Cyrus transported building materials from Walla Walla, Washington to Boise via oxen so that he could build the house for his wife, Mary Ellen Jacobs. The Jacobs family is pictured in the banner above, along with the well that is the focal point of this project.
While living in the residence, the Jacobs family grew a vegetable garden, decorated their exterior landscape with lilacs, and filled their house with music and laughter. The house was sold in 1910 to an immigrant Basque couple, Simon and Josefa Galdos. They transformed the property into a Basque boarding house, also known as ostatuak in Basque. Boarding houses served several functions: as places of residences for newly arrived male Basque immigrants, as spaces of lively dance and music, and as social centers where people of Basque heritage could celebrate their cultural traditions and speak their native tongue in privacy.
The property changed hands in 1913, when it was purchased by Ciriaco and Maria Cruz Bicandi and then again in 1918, when the Basque couple, Jose and Hermenegilda Uberuaga, bought it and operated it through 1969.