Goal 1. Teaching and Learning.
Engage students in a transformational experience of discovery, understanding, and global citizenship.
Our graduates will live, work, compete and prosper in a global and multicultural environment. Consequently, graduates must learn the substance of their studies and understand the values, perspectives, skills and experiences that advance humankind. Objective A:
Build and sustain innovative curricula of distinction. Strategies:
- Identify and publish learning outcomes that inform curricula and programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Use learning outcomes assessment pro-actively as a means to keep teaching and learning vital, contemporary, and grounded.
- Ensure the strength of those individual disciplinary programs that lay the foundation for a vibrant, well-rounded university education.
- Provide faculty leadership and direct support to the UI core curriculum through innovative instruction in, and continuous development of, Core Discovery courses to better engage and prepare students as learners.
- Building upon strong programs in the disciplines, selectively develop interdisciplinary programs that respond to significant cultural and societal needs and that challenge, engage, and influence thought.
- As appropriate, integrate extramural learning opportunities into the curriculum.
- Increase the availability of programs to students through the development of online courses, short courses, and summer session course offerings.
Develop effective integrative learning activities to engage and expand student minds. Strategies:
- Create a culture recognizing exceptional teaching and outstanding student achievement.
- Encourage students to expand horizons by taking appropriate courses in other disciplines.
- Foster faculty development in areas both within and outside their own specialties.
- Coordinate coursework across disciplines.
- Foster interdisciplinary learning.
- In carefully selected courses, engage students in interdisciplinary teams to solve complex learning tasks.
- Increase opportunities for student international experiences.
- Expand learning opportunities for students in independent research and creative activity, field work and outreach, service learning, national student exchange, internships, disciplinary competitions, and involvement in professional societies.
- Provide graduate and professional students with integrated experiences in teaching, research, creative activity and outreach.
- Facilitate with appropriate alumni and professional partners, strategic recruitment, retention, and post-graduation employment and internship opportunities for students.