Goal 2. Scholarly and Creative Activity.
Achieve excellence in scholarship and creative activity through a college culture that recognizes that teaching, outreach, research, and creative activities are inextricably intertwined.
More than any other college, CLASS encompasses a diverse set of disciplines. Scholarly and creative activities range from creative and professional writing to theatrical and musical performance to archival, field, and laboratory research. However, schools and departments share the understanding that students benefit from engagement in all these activities. Objective:
Maintain and develop excellence in scholarly and creative activity which meshes with the University’s strategic goals and the public education/land-grant mission of the university. Strategies:
- Create or expand competitive graduate assistantships in strategically significant graduate and professional programs.
- Enhance compensation and start-up packages to attract and retain good, competitive faculty.
- Focus resources, financial and other, to enhance scholarly and creative activity in programs that demonstrate or show potential for excellence.
- Strengthen library collections and technology to expand access to information and research materials.
- Increase communication with the University Research Office and with other colleges, agencies and professions to expand grant activity. Build partnerships regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Enhance communication within the University and with State legislators and the general citizenry about the value of CLASS disciplines in shaping public awareness of political, social and economic issues.
- Create reduced teaching loads for research-intensive faculty while not devaluing or significantly expanding the work of teaching-centered faculty. Recognize such differences in the tenure & promotion process.