Information for New Students

Account Set-Up
As a University of Idaho Coeur d’Alene student, you will need to access several different accounts online. Below is an explanation of each and set-up instructions:

Vandalweb: log in to register for classes, view your student account, accept/decline financial aid, and many other options.

Vandalmail: our University e-mail system we send all e-mail correspondence to. You will receive important information and updates via vandalmail, so please check it frequently.

Student Lab/Webct/Blackboard: If you are taking online courses or want to use our computer lab, you will need to set up this account.

Information Technology Services has a video and step by step instructions for how to set up these accounts on this website.  Need additional help with your accounts? Contact the Help Desk at (208) 885-HELP or e-mail
Class Schedules
Your adviser will help you choose your courses each semester. To view the schedule, go to
Registration begins in April for Summer and Fall semesters and in November for the Spring semester. Register online at or visit our office for registration assistance.

Online Courses
The University of Idaho uses an online learning system called Blackboard to deliver most of our online courses. The Web site for Blackboard is . Instructions for navigating Blackboard can be found under the “student help” tab of the blackboard Web site. Most University of Idaho instructors will not grant students access to their online course until
the first day of classes.

Classroom Locations/Parking
Most classes are currently held on the NIC campus. If you have a class at NIC held before 4:00 p.m. and wish to park on campus, you will need to purchase a parking permit from the Campus Safety office on River Avenue. Parking permits are not required on the NIC campus during summer session

The State Board of Education determines our fees every year. Visit for more information.

University of Idaho Coeur d’Alene Students purchase their textbooks online through the University of Idaho Bookstore,
Paying for Books
You will need to log-in to your account, or create an account if you’re a new visitor, before completing your purchase. After payment, the books will be sent to your home address within approximately two to three business  days. You also have the option to appropriate some financial aid money to your vandal card account to be used for  textbooks. See the instructions below to find out how to get a vandal card.

Vandal Cards
Your vandal card is your student Id card and it can be used for student discounts at a variety of local merchants.  The Vandal Card can also be used as a debit card at the University of Idaho Bookstore. Vandal card deposits can be made online. Your account balances roll forward each semester. To get a vandal  card, stop by our office during our regular business hours (Fall/Spring 8:00-5:00; Summer 7:30-4:30). The vandal  card is usually ready for you to pick up three days after you order it.

Student Health Insurance Program – SHIP
The State Board of Education requires proof of valid health insurance as a condition of enrollment at the University of Idaho. Coeur d’Alene students enrolled in 8 or more credits must provide proof of medical insurance, or they will be required to enroll in the University’s Student Health Insurance Program for the semester. For more information on  eligibility, fees, benefits, and waiving SHIP, please visit
Concurrent Enrollment
If you are concurrently enrolled at North Idaho College (NIC) and the University of Idaho and want to receive financial aid through University of Idaho, you must go to the Financial Aid Office at NIC and have them complete a  “Concurrent Enrollment Form” for each semester of concurrent enrollment. The form will be sent to the University of  Idaho Student Financial Aid Services office to document the number of credits taken each semester so that financial  aid can be awarded  .

For Institutions other than NIC - If you would like to receive financial aid from the University of Idaho while attending both University of Idaho and another institution or solely attending another institution, a Consortium Agreement Form must be completed each semester. The Consortium Agreement can be found online at under “Forms”.

For the New Student Handbook in a printable PDF version, click here