To educate students on available academic resources which they can successfully use to achieve their desired goal of making informed and increasingly independent decisions about their academic plans. Successful advising requires a responsible joint effort between the student and the adviser and, ultimately, the student becomes responsible for his or her own educational experience. Expectations of Student:
- During the Academic Advising period, schedule your advising appointment.
- Come prepared to each scheduled or walk-in appointment.
- Bring all necessary materials and paperwork for your appointment.
- Be courteous and plan ahead. Schedule your appointments as soon as possible, and cancel or reschedule if necessary.
- Treat the adviser with respect.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions and actions.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or if you have a concern.
- Be proactive in checking VandalWeb often to keep track of your academic progress.
Expectations of Advisers:
- Protect and secure the integrity of the University of Idaho degree by enforcing all university and departmental policies and requirements.
- Understand the University of Idaho degree requirements and effectively communicate them.
- Treat student with respect and as an adult.
- Provide resources and referrals.
- Listen carefully to student's questions, concerns, and subjects of confusion.
- Check your VandalMail daily.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to make your advising appointment.
- Take advantage of the advising and academic tools that the University of Idaho has to offer.
Academic Advising Policies & Procedures:
Appointments are made by calling the College of Business and Economics Advising Suite at (208)885-7141 or by visiting us in Albertson Building Room 306. Please tell the administrative assistant answering the phone that you would like to set up an advising appointment.
Appointments will not be made through e-mail.
You will receive a reminder the day before your appointment. Be on time for your appointment.
Come to your appointment prepared with the paperwork. If you do not come prepared, you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.
Cancellation of Appointments
Situations can arise and cause appointments to be canceled or rescheduled. If such a situation happens, students are to notify the Advising Suite staff at least 2 hours in advance.
During peak appointment times (6 weeks before early registration begins when appointments are made to remove registration holds), appointment times are at a premium.
E-mail communication via a student’s VandalMail account is the primary method of communication at the University of Idaho. E-mail communication is appropriate for questions that are specific in nature. However, if the questions require additional inquiries from the adviser, or require a lengthy and involved response, the adviser may request that the student schedule an appointment or drop in during office hours. Meeting with your adviser in person is preferred, as it provides a means of interaction which leads to a better understanding of each other.
Students are always encouraged to meet with their academic adviser on a walk-in basis. Please be aware however, that advisers may be committed to previously scheduled appointments. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 - 5:00 p.m.