Idaho Commons Room 334
P.O. Box 442534
Moscow, ID 83844-2534
Your cover letter, accompanied by your resume, is probably your first opportunity to introduce yourself to an organization. Clearly state your desire to apply for a particular position and why you are interested in and qualified for it. The cover letter can provide a brief explanation of your experience, areas of expertise, and relevant knowledge. It should elaborate on key points included in your resume.
Things to remember:
- The purpose of the cover letter is to convince the employer to interview you
- Research the organization to learn about its mission, products, and history
- Obtain a detailed description of the position for which you are applying
- The letter should be professional and straightforward
- Use a standard business letter format
- Use the same font type and paper as the resume
- Check and double-check your spelling and grammar – better yet, have a career advisor review it
- Limit your letter to one page
- SIGN IT!