College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Plant, Soil and Entomological Sciences
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin, Madison
M.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison
M.S., Agra University, U.P., India
B.S., University of Gorakhpur, U.P., India
I.S., U.P. Board of Allahabad, India
Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Singh, S.P., H. Terán, H.F. Schwartz, K. Otto, D.G. Debouck, W. Roca, and M. Lema. 2012. White mold resistant interspecific common bean breeding line VRW 32 derived from Phaseolus costaricensis. J. Plant Reg. 6: (in press).
- Duncan, R.W., R.L. Gilbertson, and S.P. Singh. 2012. Direct and marker-assisted selection for resistance to common bacterial blight in common bean. Crop Sci. 52: 1511-1521.
- Brick, M.A., J.B. Ogg, H.F. Schwartz, J.J. Johnson, F. Judson, S.P. Singh, P.N. Miklas, and M. Pastor-Corrales. 2011. Registration of ‘Croissant’ pinto bean. J. Plant Reg. 5:299-303.
- Duncan, R.W., S.P. Singh, and R.L. Gilbertson. 2011. Interaction of common bacterial blight bacteria with disease resistance quantitative trait loci in common bean. Phytopathology 101:425-435.
- Miklas, P.N., S.P. Singh, H. Terán, J.D. Kelly, and J.R. Smith. 2011. Registration of common bacterial blight resistant cranberry dry bean germplasm line USCR-CBB-20. J. Plant Regstr. 5: 98-102.
- Singh, S.P., and H.F. Schwartz. 2011. Breeding common bean for resistance to insect pests and nematodes: A review. Can. J. Plant Sci. 91:239-250.
- Singh, S.P., H. Terán, M. Lema, and R. Hayes. 2011. Selection for dry bean yield on-station versus on-farm conventional and organic production systems. Crop Sci. 51:621-630.
- Westermann, D.T., H. Terán, C.G. Muñoz-Perea, and S.P. Singh. 2011. Nutrient uptake and utilization by common bean landraces and cultivars in seven stressed and non-stressed organic and conventional production systems. Can. J. Plant Sci. 91:1089-1099.
- Singh, S.P., and H.F. Schwartz. 2010. Breeding common bean for resistance to diseases: A review. Crop Sci. 50: 2199-2223.
- Terán, H., and S.P. Singh. 2010. Gamete and recurrent selection for improving physiological resistance to white mold in common bean. Can. J. Plant Sci. 90:153-162.
- Directs genetics and plant breeding program to produce superior dry bean germplasm and cultivars broadly adapted to western and midwestern growth environments
- Emphasis on broadening genetic base and development of upright early maturing cultivars with resistance to multiple biotic and abiotic stresses, primarily in pink, pinto and red market classes
- International Service in Crop Science Award, 2010
- Fellow, American Society of Agronomy, 2003
- Fellow, Crop Science Society of America, 2003
- Honorable recognition as extraordinary investigator by Estación Agro-Industrial Obispo Colombres, Tucuman, Argentina, for the impact of bean cultivars, personnel trained, and technical support provided to Argentina from 1980 to 1998, April 2003
- Honorable recognition by Universidad Gabriel Rene Moreno, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, for bean cultivars released, June 1998
- Honorable recognition by the National Institute of Agricultural Research (INIAP), Quito, Ecuador, for bean cultivars released and technical support provided to the National Legume Program, June 1998
- Honorable recognition by the National Agricultural Research Enterprise (EMBRAPA) and the National Center for Rice and Bean (CNPAF), Goiania, Brazil, for release of common bean cultivars, October 1995
- Outstanding Research Publication Award, CIAT, Cali, Colombia, December 1991
- Meritorious Service Award, Bean Improvement Cooperative, U.S.A., November 1991
- Sigma Xi, national honorary society, 1973
- Gama Sigma Delta, national honorary society, 1972
- Recipient of the National Merit Scholarship, India, 1963-68
- Vice Chancellor’s Award for the second highest academic achievement in the University of Gorakhpur, November 1963