College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Plant, Soil and Entomological Sciences
Ph.D., Washington State University
M.S., Washington State University
B.A., Connecticut College
- Yilma, S., Vales, M., Charton, B.A., Hane, D.C., James, S.R., Shock, C.C., Mosley, A.R., Culp, D., Feibert, E., Leroux, L., Karaagac, E., Knowles, N., Pavek, M., Stark, J.C., Novy, R.G., Whitworth, J.L., Pavek, J.J., Corsini, D.L., Brandt, T.L., Olsen, N., Brown, C.R. 2012. Owyhee Russet: A variety with high yields of U.S. no. 1 tubers, excellent processing quality, and moderate resistance to Fusarium dry rot (Fusarium solani var. coeruleum). American Journal of Potato Research. 89:175-183.
- Novy, R.G., Whitworth, J.L., Stark, J.C., Charton, B.A., Yilma, S., Knowles, N.R., Pavek, M.J., Brandt, T.L., Gupta, S., Olsen, N., Thornton, M., Brown, C.R., Corsini, D.L., Pavek, J.J., James, S.R., Hane, D.C., Lozoya-Saldana, H., Vales, I. 2012. Palisade Russet: A late blight resistant potato cultivar having a low incidence of sugar ends and high specific gravity. American Journal of Potato Research. 89:89-101.
Crosslin, J, N. Olsen and P. Nolte. 2012. First report of zebra chip disease and “Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum” on potatoes in Idaho. Plant Disease Note 96(3):453.
- Miller, J.S., P.B Hamm, N. Olsen, B. Geary and D.A. Johnson. Effect of Post-harvest Fungicides and Disinfectants on the Suppression of Silver Scurf on Potatoes in Storage. 2011. American Journal of Potato Research 88:413-423.
- Moore, A., N. Olsen, A Carey and A. Leytem. 2011. Residual Effects of Fresh and Composted Dairy Manure Applications on Potato Production. American Journal of Potato Research 88:324-332.
- Whitworth, J.L., R.G. Novy, J.C. Stark, J.J. Pavek, D.L. Corsini, S.L. Love, N. Olsen, S. Gupta, T. Brandt, M.I. Vales, A. Mosley, S. Yilma, S.R. James, D.C. Hane, B.A. Charlton, C.C. Shock, N.R. Knowles, M.J. Pavek, J.S. Miller, and C.R. Brown. 2011. Alpine Russet: A Potato Cultivar Having Long Tuber Dormancy Making it Suitable for Processing from Long-term Storage. American Journal of Potato Research 88: 256-268.
- Thornton, M., W. Buhrig and N. Olsen. 2010. The Relationship Between Soil Temperature and Sugar Ends in Potato. Potato Research 53: 289-296.
- Slininger, P.J., D.A Schisler, M.A. Shea-Andersh, J.M. Sloan, L.K Woodell, M.J. Frazier and N. Olsen. 2010. Multi-strain Co-cultures Surpass Blends for Broad Spectrum Biological Control of Maladies of Potatoes in Storage. Biocontrol Science and Technology 20:763-786.
- Stark, J.C., R.G. Novy, J.L. Whitworth, N.R. Knowles, M.J. Pavek, S.L. Love, M.I. Vales, S.R. James, D.C. Hane, C.R. Brown, B.A. Charlton, D.L. Corsini, J.J. Pavek, N. Olsen and T. Brandt. 2010. Classic Russet: A Potato Cultivar with Excellent Fresh Market Characteristics and High Yields of US No. 1 Tubers Suitable for Early Harvest or Full-Season Production. American Journal of Potato Research 87:360-373.
- Novy, R.G., J.L. Whitworth, J.C. Stark, S.L. Love, D.L. Corsini, J.J. Pavek, M.I. Vales, S.R. James, D.C. Hane, C.C. Shock, B.A. Charlton, C.R. Brown, N.R. Knowles, M.J. Pavek, T. Brandt, S. Gupta, and N. Olsen. 2010. Clearwater Russet: A Dual-Purpose Potato Cultivar with Cold Sweetening Resistance, High Protein Content, and Low Incidence of External Defects and Sugar Ends. American Journal of Potato Research 87:458-471.
- Conducts research on potato sprout and disease control in storage, variety specific storage management, and optimizing field and storage conditions to maintain high quality potatoes
- Research also includes evaluating seed potato quality and performance
- Provides statewide support for efficient and effective potato production and storage management
- Directs an extension management program in cooperation with extension and research faculty related to economical, effective, and sustainable production and storage technology of potatoes
- Disseminates information regarding research, new technology and management practice