Gather, organize and analyze information for a faculty member’s grant-funded research. Observe meal times at a child care center for a study on feeding young children in group settings. Evaluate the results of a food safety education program. Enter nutritional data into a computer program for a sports nutrition project.
Food and Nutrition Club: Travel to local and national conferences and participate in nutrition-related activities.
Family and Consumer Sciences Club: Attend an annual state conference and meet professionals in the field.
Phi Upsilon Omicron: Join the national honor society; receive opportunities for scholarships and professional development.
Intern. Get practical experiences like these:
- Health department: Provide nutritional education and one-on-one guidance to clients of a program for mothers with infants and children.
- University extension office: Help low-income families plan nutritious meals on a budget.
- Child nutrition program: Visit child care centers and schools to educate caregivers and plan healthy snacks.
Study abroad. Deepen your understanding of your major—and the world—in countries like these:
- India: Visit a spice market and explore the healing properties of curry.
- Taiwan: Visit a night market and sample traditional cuisine like fish eyeball soup.
- Mexico: Enjoy the exotic flavor of mole and the offerings of traditional food vendors.
. Give back and gain experience. Work a booth at the student health fair. Deliver meals on wheels. Visit schools to talk to students about nutrition. Grow vegetables on campus at the organic farm. Deliver produce to the food bank.