Dev Shrestha, Ph.D.
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Campus Locations: Moscow
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
With UI Since 2004
Ph.D., Iowa State University, Agricultural Engineering / Electrical Engineering, 2004
MS, Asian Institute of Technology, Agricultural and Food Engineering, 1999
BS, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Agricultural Engineering, 1997
Dev Shrestha is an Associate Professor at University of Idaho. His research is mainly in biofuel area and working on different aspects of biodiesel research. His research includes life cycle energy balance study, biodiesel quality sensor development and study of cold flow behaviors. Dr. Shrestha has published several research papers related to biodiesel. One of his papers compares several energy life cycle analysis studies, and sets a guideline for defining energy balance for consistency and interpretation.
Dr. Shrestha’s another research focus is in Instrumentation and Robotics. He used machine vision to detect weed identification in corn fields. He developed in-field biodiesel blend sensor and biosensor for biodiesel quality detection. He developed an automated soil sampler to retrofit potato combine harvester for continuous soil sample collection. His teaching area includes, Instrumentation, Power and Controls and Precision Agriculture.
- Zawadzki A., D. S. Shrestha. 2009. Glycerol sensing in biodiesel using turbidimetry. Transactions of the ASABE. 52 (4):1261-1265
- Pradhan A., D.S. Shrestha, J. Van Gerpen, J. Duffield. 2008. The energy balance of soybean oil biodiesel production: a review of past studies. Transactions of the ASABE 51(1): 185-194
- Shrestha D.S., J. Van Gerpen, J. Thompson.2008. Effectiveness of cold flow additives on various biodiesel, diesel and their blends. Transactions of the ASABE. Transactions of the ASABE 51(4): 1365-1370.
- Shrestha, D.S., B.L. Steward, and S.J. Birrell. 2004. Video processing for early stage maize plant detection. Biosystems Engineering, 89(2): 119-129.
- Shrestha, D.S., G. Singh, and G. Gebresenbet. 2001. Optimizing design parameters of a mouldboard plough. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 78(4): 377-389.
For more information Visit my personal page at:
- Best Academic Advisor Award. Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering. University of Idaho. 2010.
- Taiganides Award for outstanding Ph.D. student from Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Department, Iowa State University.2004
- Teaching Excellence award from Iowa State University, Ames Iowa. May 2003.
- International Leadership Award from Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, May 2003.
- IET select paper award from Information and Electrical Technologies division at ASAE 2003 annual international conference, Sacramento, CA.