Our faculty members conduct research concurrently with teaching, exploring topics such as reproduction, growth and lactation physiology; meat and dairy science and nutrition; and aquaculture.
Research opportunities are plentiful. Analyze feed samples in the beef, dairy and sheep nutrition labs. Analyze the hormone composition of blood in the bovine and equine reproductive physiology labs. Participate in lactation research in an agricultural biotechnology lab. Care for animals at the beef, dairy and sheep centers. Paid positions are available.
Agribusiness Club: Meet business leaders and potential employers.
Student Idaho Cattle Association, Livestock And Meats Judging Teams, Block and Bridle: Visit farms and ranches. Practice judging and showing livestock.
Intern. Get real-world experiences likes these:
- Nancy M. Cummings Research, Extension And Education Center: Help feed and care for 400 crossbred mother cows at the University of Idaho's ranch near Salmon, Idaho.
- Beef Feedlot: Rotate through all phases of the operation from feed preparation to treating sick animals.
- Ranch: Participate in the daily care and management of the herd.
Study abroad. Deepen your understanding of your major—and the world—in countries like these:
- Mexico: Visit family operated cattle ranches.
- Taiwan: Learn about aquaculture.
- Australia: Spend time in a country that prizes its beef and sheep industries.
Facilities you will have access to include:
- Beef center with purebred cows
- Dairy center with milking Holsteins
- Sheep center with breeding Suffolk ewes
- On-campus processing facilities for meat and dairy
- Reproductive physiology labs