Prepare for Success
This major is a good fit if you can see yourself:
- Producing essential dairy products such as milk, butter and cheese.
- Improving animal nutrition and reproduction.
- Making business decisions about dairy production, manufacturing and management.
To prepare, you may want to:
- Participate in 4-H activities, volunteer at a county fair,or work for a farm.
- Practice your leadership skills in student office.
- Pay attention to current issues in the news about the dairy and food industry.
Your First Year
Your first year, you will hone your communication skills with course work in writing. You will also take cellular biology, chemistry and the science of animal husbandry.
More advanced major courses cover topics such as advanced dairy management, physiology of lactation, animal reproduction and breeding, and animal disease management.
See the four-year plan.