Kathleen M. Painter
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
Farm and Ranch Economist
Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, Washington State University, 1992
M.A.,Agricultural Economics, Washington State University, 1982
B.A., Communications, Washington State University, 1979
Farm & Ranch Management, Organic & Sustainable Agriculture, Biofuels, Climate Change, Value-Added and Alternative Marketing Channels for Farm Products
Areas of specialization include enterprise budgeting and feasibility studies, mathematical programming, organic agriculture, and biofuels from both oilseeds and cellulosic sources in the Pacific Northwest
Developing enterprise budgets, farm management, and production agriculture
- Painter, K., 2010 “An Economic Analysis of the Potential for Carbon Credits to Improve Profitability of Conservation Tillage Systems Across Washington State.” Ch. 24 in CSANR Research Report 2010-001 Climate Friendly Farming: Improving the Carbon Footprint of Agriculture in the Pacific Northwest. http://csanr.wsu.edu/publications/researchreports/cffreport.html
- Painter, Kathleen, 2010 “Direct Seed Mentoring Project: An Economic Comparison of Direct Seed and Conventional Growers in the Washington/Idaho Palouse.” Pacific Northwest Direct Seed Association Newsletter, Spring, Vol. 10, No. 3. http://directseed.org/Newsletters/2010/Spring2010DirectLink.html
- Painter, Kathleen. 2009. “Why Keep Careful Farm Records? Motivations for the Small Farm or Farm-based Business.” Small Farm Digest, vol. 13, Summer, pp. 9-12. Available online at http://www.csrees.usda.gov/newsroom/newsletters/smallfarmdigest/
- Painter, Kathleen, Michael McCullough, David Holland, Leroy Stodick, and Jonathon Yoder, 2009 “Economic & Environmental Impacts of Policy Alternatives for Promoting Biofuel Production in Washington State.” AERS 09-01, University of Idaho, http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/aers/PDF/AERS/2009/AERS09-01.pdf
- Painter, Kathleen M., 2008 “An Analysis of Food-Chain Demand for Differentiated Farm Commodities: Implications for the Farm Sector.” Research Report 215, Washington, DC: USDA, Rural Development-Cooperative Programs. http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/RBS/pub/Painter_Report_Small.pdf
- Painter, Kathleen M., Eric L. Jessup, Marcia Gossard, and Kenneth L. Casavant., 2007 “Demand Forecasting for Rural Transit: Models Applied to Washington State.” Transportation Research Record (1997):35-40.
- Painter, Kathleen M., Robert Douglas Scott II, Philip R. Wandschneider, and Kenneth L. Casavant, 2002 “Using Contingent Valuation to Measure User and Non-user Benefits: An Application to Public Transit.” Review of Agricultural Economics, 24(2):394-409.
- Wandschneider, P., D. Holland, K. Painter, R. Scott, and D. Willis, 1998 “Some Issues in Regulatory Benefits-Cost Analysis: The Benefits and Costs of Regulations to Reduce Smoke from Grass Seed Field Burning in Eastern Washington. Northwest Journal of Business and Economics.
- Painter, Kathleen, Douglas Young, David Granatstein, and David Mulla, 1995 "Combining Alternative and Conventional Systems for Economic and Environmental Gains." Amer. J. of Alternative Ag., 10(2):88-96.
- Brusven, M., D.Walker, K. Painter, and R. Biggam, 1995 “ Ecological-Economic Assessment of a Sediment-Producing Stream Behind Lower Granite Dam on the Lower Snake River, USA.” Regulated Rivers: Research & Management, 10(2-4):373-387.
- USDA-CSREES Partnership Award for Innovative Program Models Award Our Climate Friendly Farming Project at Washington State earned this award for “a model program integrating cutting-edge research with highly-effective extension engagement to deliver important and measurable economic and environmental impacts.” 2009.
- Honorable Mention, Outstanding Journal Article: Painter, Kathleen M., Robert Douglas Scott II, Philip R. Wandschneider, and Kenneth L. Casavant, 2002 “Using Contingent Valuation to Measure User and Non-user Benefits: An Application to Public Transit.” Review of Agricultural Economics, 24(2):394-409.
- Outstanding Publication of the Year Award, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, 1996: Painter, Kathleen and Douglas Young, 1994 “Environmental and Economic Impacts of Agricultural Policy Reform: An Interregional Comparison." J. of Ag. And Applied Economics, 26(2):1-9.