Paul E. Patterson
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
District Extension Economist, Extension Professor
M.S., Agricultural Economics, University of Idaho, 1981
B.S., Agricultural Economics, University of Idaho, 1978
Cost of Production
Sustainable Agricultural Systems
- Patterson, Paul E. and Yuliya Bolotova, 2011 “Have Processing Potato Contracts Kept Pace with Cost of Production: An Empirical Analysis from Idaho.” American Journal of Potato Research, 88(2):135-142.
- Patterson, Paul E. and Kathleen Painter, Revised September 2011 “Custom Rates for Idaho Agricultural Operations: 2010-2011.” Bulletin 729, Moscow, ID: University of Idaho College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.
- Bolotova, Y., C.S. McIntosh, P.E. Patterson, and K. Muthusamy, 2010 “Is Stabilization of Potato Price Effective? Empirical Evidence from the Idaho Russet Burbank Potato Market.” Agribusiness, Vol. 26 (2): 177-201.
- Patterson, Paul E. 2010 “Cost of Production and Cost of Storage.” In: Commercial Potato Production in North America, (eds. William H. Bohl and Stephen B. Johnson.) The Potato Association of America Handbook, pp 19-23. http://potatoassociation.org/documents/A_ProductionHandbook_Final.pdf
- Bolotova, Yuliya and Paul E. Patterson, 2009“An Analysis of Contracts in the Idaho Processing Potato Industry.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, Vol. 40 (1): 32-38.
- Muthusamy, Kalamani, Christopher S. McIntosh, Yuliya Bolotova, and Paul E. Patterson, 2008 “Price Volatility of Idaho Fresh Potatoes: 1987-2007.” American Journal of Potato Research, 85(6):438-444.
- Bolotova, Y., C.S. McIntosh, K. Muthusamy and P.E. Patterson. 2008 “The Impact of Coordination of Production and Marketing Strategies on Price Behavior: Evidence from Idaho Potato Industry.” International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 11 (3): 1-29.
- Myers, P., C.S. McIntosh, P.E. Patterson, R.G. Taylor, and B.G. Hopkins, 2008 “Optimal Crop Rotation of Idaho Potatoes.” American Journal of Potato Research, 85(3):183-197.
- Bolotova, Y. and P. E. Patterson. 2008. Contractual Relations in Production and Marketing of Potatoes, Barley and Wheat in Idaho: A Procedure for an Empirical Analysis. Journal of Food Distribution Research, Vol. 39 (1): 25-30, 2008.
- Patterson, P. E. and L.D. Makus, 2007 “An Economic Comparison of Conventional Tillage and Conservation Tillage for Spring Wheat Production in Northern Kazakhstan.” Climate Change and Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration in Central Asia, London: Taylor and Francis.
Extension farm management program emphasizes cost of production, record keeping and analysis, budgeting, risk management, and market outlook. Applied research includes the economic evaluation of both traditional and alternative crops, cropping practices and crop production systems for both irrigated and dryland crop production.
- University of Idaho College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award, 2009
- International Food and Agribusiness Management Association Symposium Best Paper Award for “The Impact of Coordination of Production and Marketing Strategies on Price Behavior: Evidence from Idaho Potato Industry by Y. Bolotova, K. Muthusamy, C.S. McIntosh and P.E. Patterson, 2008
- Western Agricultural Economics Association’s Outstanding Extension Program Award for Project: University of Idaho Farm Management Costs and Returns Program, 2007
- American Society of Agronomy Certificate of Excellence, A-4 Educational Materials Award for publication: Idaho Forage Handbook, 2005 (One of 24 co-authors.)
- Western Agricultural Economics Association’s Outstanding Extension Program Award for Project: PNW Risk Management Education, 2000
- American Society of Agronomy, Education Excellence Award, Division A-4, Educational Materials Contest Publications Category for “Idaho Spring Barley Production Guide.” 1993
- Epsilon Sigma Phi State Team Award presented to the District IV Potato Working Group, 1991