Paul A. Lewin
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
Extension Specialist, Assistant Professor
Ph.D., Applied Economics, Oregon State University, 2011
M.S., Agricultural Economics, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, 2000
B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, 1998
Conduct research on rural community development.
Research program includes entrepreneurship, rural infrastructure, and dynamic changes of community and small regional economies.
Long-term goal is helping local communities producing wealth, opening economic opportunities, and facilitating adjustment.
- Lewin, P., Weber, B., and Holland, D., 2013 Core-Periphery Dynamics in the Portland Oregon Region: 1982 to 2006” Annals of Regional Science (forthcoming)
- Lewin, P., Fisher, M., and Weber, B., 2012 “Do Rainfall Conditions Push or Pull Rural Migrants? Evidence from Malawi” Agricultural Economic Journal 43, 191-204.
- Holland, D.; Lewin, P.; Sorte, B.; and Weber, B. In press. 2011. “How economically Interdependence is the Portland Metro Core with its Rural Periphery? A comparison across two decades.” In: Toward one Oregon. Oregon State University Press.
- Weber, B., Lewin, P., and Sorte, B., 2011 “Economic Impacts on Oregon Counties of the Termination of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination” Act: 2011 Update.
- Sorte, B., Lewin, P., and Opfer, P., 2011 “Oregon Agriculture and the Economy: An Update” Oregon State University Extension Service. Rural Studies Program
- Makombe, T., Lewin, P., and Fisher, M., 2010 “The Determinants of Food Insecurity in Rural Malawi: Implications for Agricultural Policy” Malawi Strategy Support Program (MaSSP), Policy Note 4. International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sorte, B., Lewin, P., and Weber, B., 2009 “Economic Impacts on Oregon Counties of the Termination of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination” Act: An Update. RSP #09-03.
- Holland, D., Lewin, P., Sorte, B., and Weber, B., 2009 “How Economically Interdependent is the Portland Metro Core with its Rural Periphery? A Comparison across Two Decades” RSP # 09-01.
- Sorte, B., Lewin, P., and Weber, B., 2008 “Economic Impacts on Oregon Counties of the Termination of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act” (P.L. 106-393). RSP #08-05
- Lewin, P. and Andersson, K., 2008 “Chile: A Free-Market Model of Decentralization”. In K. Andersson, G. Gordillo de Anda and F. van Laerhoven. Local Governments and Rural Development: Comparing Lessons from Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Peru. University of Arizona Press.