College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
Extension Specialist, Associate Professor
Ph.D., Sociology, Washington State University, 2001
M.A., Sociology, Washington State University, 1993
B.A., Psychology, University of Montana, 1989
Natural Resource Conflict and Decision-Making
Environmental Policy and Programs
Rural Sociology and Sociology of Agriculture
Rural Community and Organizational Development
Qualitative and Participatory Research Methods
The Arts and Regional Economic Development
Community Leadership Development
- Carroll, M., P. Jakes, and L. Higgins, 2011 “Non-Tribal Community Recovery from Wildfire Five Years Later: The Case of the Rodeo-Chediski Fire.” Society and Natural Resources 24 (7).
- Cohen, K., L. Higgins, N. Sanyal, and C. Harris, 2009 “Community Coaching: Answering the Call For Innovative Approaches to Community-Based Development Initiatives.” Journal of the Community Development Society, 39(4).
- Carroll, M.S., L.L. Higgins, P.J. Cohn, and J. Burchfield, 2006 “Community Wildfire Events as a Source of Conflict.” Rural Sociology, 71(2):261-280.
- Carroll, M.S, P.J. Cohn, D.N. Seesholtz, and L.L. Higgins, 2005 “Fire as a Galvanizing and Fragmenting Influence on Communities: The Case of the Rodeo-Chediski Fire.” Society and Natural Resources, 18(4):301-320.
- Jussaume Jr., R.A., and L.L. Higgins, 1998, “Attitudes Towards Food Safety and the Environment: A Comparison of Consumers in Japan and the U.S.” Rural Sociology, 63(3):394-411.
- Higgins, L.L. and R.A. Jussaume Jr., 1998 “The Viability of Niche Marketing Within Global Commodity Chains: An Example from Beef.” International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food, 7:45-66.
- Higgins, L. and L. Lutzenhiser, 1995 “Ceremonial Equity: Low-Income Energy Assistance and the Failure of Socio-Environmental Policy.” Social Problems, 42:468-492.
- Community Resource & Economic Development (CRED) National Leaders Team, Western representative, 2011 – present
- Program Director, Two Degrees Northwest: Where Art Meets the Land, 2007 – present
- Clearwater Economic Development Association, Community and Economic Development Committee, 2007-2010
- Uniquely Idaho Committee for the Promotion and Support of Cultural Tourism in Idaho, 2006 – 2008
- Leadership Team Member, Enhancing Rural Capacity Co-P for eXtension (eXtension.org).
- Co-Director, Northwest Area Foundation's Horizons Program, 2004 -2005
- Idaho Community Review Steering Committee, 2003 – present
- Environmental Protection Agency Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Research Fellowship, 1998 – 2001