Larry D. Makus
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
Ph.D., Texas A&M University, 1983
M.S., New Mexico State University, 1976
B.S., Washington State University, 1974
Byproducts related to bio-fuel development
Farm and ranch management
- Greenway, Gina A., Joseph F. Guenthner, Larry D. Makus and Mark J. Pavek, 2011 “An Analysis of Organic Potato Demand in the U.S.” American Journal of Potato Research, 88:184-189.
- Greenway, Gina A., Joseph F. Guenthner, Larry D. Makus and Mark J. Pavek, 2010 “Fresh Potato and Meat Preferences by U.S. Region.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, 41:12-25.
- Makus, Larry D., H. Holly Wang and Xiaomei Chen, 2007 “Evaluating Risk Management Strategies for Pacific Northwest Grain Producers.” Agricultural Finance Review, 67:357-375.
- Makus, Larry D., 2006 “Lessons Learned from Developing and Offering a Web-Based Course on Futures and Options.” Western Economics Forum, 5:28-33.
- Wang, H. Holly, Larry D. Makus and Xiaomei Chen, 2004 “The Impact of US Commodity Programs on Hedging in the Presence of Crop Insurance.” European Review of Agricultural Economics, 31:331-52
- Foltz, John, Shunxiang Wu, Larry Makus and Wendy Elam, 2004 “Farm Manager Attitudes Regarding an Alternative Perennial Hay Crop in the Palouse Region of the Pacific Northwest.” Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 25(2)17-43.
- Patterson, P.E. and L.D. Makus, 2007 “An Economic Comparison of Conventional Tillage and Conservation Tillage for Spring Wheat Production in Northern Kazakhstan.” In Climate Change and Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration in Central Asia, 27:383-397, London, England: Taylor and Francis.
- Makus, Larry, C. Wilson Gray and Neil Rimbey, 2002 “Understanding Commodity Futures and Options for Producers of Livestock and Livestock Products.” Idaho Cooperative Extension System, University of Idaho, CIS 1092.
- Makus, Larry D. and Paul Patterson, 2001 “Understanding Commodity Futures and Options for Grain Marketing” Idaho Cooperative Extension System, University of Idaho, CIS 1089.
- Agribusiness Club Advisor
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Outstanding Advisor Award, University of Idaho, 2008/09
- Recognized by the American Agricultural Economics Association for serving four years as an SS-AAEA Advisor, 2001
- Member of PNW team receiving the Western Agricultural Economics Association Outstanding Extension Program Award, July 2000
- Member of Tri-State Agricultural Distance Delivery Alliance (TADDA) Team receiving the ADEC Distance Education Consortium “Barrier Buster” Team Award, August 1998
- Member of multidisciplinary team receiving the Epsilon Sigma Phi (National Honorary Extension Fraternity) Regional Distinguished Team Award in recognition of leadership for innovative alternative agricultural enterprises programs, December 1993
- Major Professor for a MS thesis entitled "A Hedonic Price Analysis of the Pacific Northwest Wheat Market" written by Steve D. Wirsching and selected as the Outstanding MS Thesis in the western region of the US and Canada by the Western Agricultural Economics Association, 1993
- Member of multidisciplinary team receiving the Epsilon Sigma Phi (National Honorary Extension Fraternity) State Team Award in recognition of achievement in alternative agricultural enterprises in northern Idaho, October 1992
- Co-Major Professor for a MS thesis entitled "An Economic Analysis of Factors Influencing U.S. Beef Exports to Japan" written by Paula Engel and selected as the Outstanding MS Thesis in the western region of the US and Canada by the Western Agricultural Economics Association, 1992
- College of Agriculture R.M. Wade Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Idaho, 1990/91. • College of Agriculture Outstanding Advisor Award, University of Idaho, 1988/89
- Aggie-X Club Superior Teaching Award for the Department of Agricultural Economics, Oklahoma State University, 1984/85
- Agricultural Economics Club Outstanding Instructor in Agricultural Economics Award, Texas A&M University, 1981/82
- Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness Club Special Appreciation Award for Instructional Services, University of Wisconsin-Platteville, 1979.