C. Wilson Gray
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
District Extension Economist, Extension Professor
M.S., Agricultural Economics, University of California, Davis, 1976
B.S., Animal Science, University of California, Davis, 1974
Business management and analysis as related to livestock operations in Idaho and the western U.S.
Currently collaborate with the Livestock Marketing Information Center (LMIC), the Western Livestock Research & Extension Coalition (RightRisk), and the Western Extension Marketing Committee.
Areas served include marketing alternatives and outlook, managerial use of technology including computers and information access for decision making, and FINPACK financial analysis.
Serves as an instructor with the Lost Rivers Grazing Academy since 1998, a 4 day school held twice yearly on the principles of Management intensive Grazing (MiG).
The principle commodities I work with are beef cattle, dairy, sheep, pasture and feedstuffs.
- C. Wilson Gray and Gina Greenway, “Is it worth the extra resources to grow higher quality hay?", in Proceedings for the 2011 Idaho Alfalfa and Forage Growers Conference.
- Norell, R.J., C.W Gray, and M. Chahine, Risk Management Practices by Idaho Dairy Producers, Abstract in proceedings and poster at the ADSA-ASAS joint annual meeting, July 10-14, 2011.
- Ahola, J.K., H.A. Foster, D.L. VanOverbeke, K.S. Jensen, R.L. Wilson, J.B. Glaze, Jr., T.E. Fife, C.W. Gray, S.A. Nash, R.R. Panting, and N.R. Rimbey. 2011. Quality defects in market beef and dairy cows and bulls sold through livestock auction markets in the Western United States: I. Incidence rates. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1474-1483.
- Ahola, J.K., H.A. Foster, D.L. VanOverbeke, K.S. Jensen, R.L. Wilson, J.B. Glaze, Jr., T.E. Fife, C.W. Gray, S.A. Nash, R.R. Panting, and N.R. Rimbey. 2011. Quality defects in market beef and dairy cows and bulls sold through livestock auction markets in the Western United States: II. Relative effects on selling price. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1484-1495.
- Falen, C. L., C.W. Gray, L. Sluder, S. Westendorf, 2011, “Creating Value for Place-Based Businesses”, Rural Connections, Western Rural Development Center, September 2011, pp 17-20.
- Shewmaker, Glenn E. and Mylen G. Bohle, Editors, Pasture and Grazing Management in the Northwest, PNW 614; Chapter 17, Economics and Risk Management in Grazing Systems, W. Gray and M. Bohle authors, 2010
- Gunn, Danielle, and C. Wilson Gray, 2009, Country of Origin Labeling and Livestock Producers, University of Idaho, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, CIS 1146, available on-line only http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edComm/pdf/CIS/CIS1146.pdf, March
- Jensen, K.S., C. Cheyney, J. Hawkins, C. W. Gray, G. Shewmaker, S. Williams, T. Griggs, J. Gerrish. (2009) Lost Rivers Grazing Academy: Building Sustainability in Livestock Production. Journal of Extension [On-line], 47(1). Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2009february/iw4.php
- Charles C. Cheyney, K. Scott Jensen, C. Wilson Gray, James Gerrish, James N. Hawkins, Glenn Shewmaker, Shannon Williams, Thomas Griggs, Lost Rivers Grazing Academy: Management Education for Sustainable Livestock Production, Invited Reviewed Paper in farm management session, International Farm Management Association -17th Bi-Annual Congress, July 19-24, 2009, Bloomington/Normal, IL, USA.
- Gray, C. Wilson and Brian Gould, Understanding Dairy Markets: Digital Dairy Management & Marketing Education, 2009 National Extension Risk Management Education Conference, Reno, NV, March 30 – April 1
- 2011 Excellence in Extension Award, University of Idaho: Entrepreneurial Outreach through Value-Added Farm Expansion, Christi L. Falen, UI Extension Educator, Lincoln County, Wilson Gray, UI Extension Economist, Twin Falls R&E Center
- 2010 Excellence in Extension Award by University of Idaho: for writing Pasture and Grazing Management in the Northwest PNW 614; this was a team award and included $1000, which was used for scholarships for professional development to the Lost Rivers Grazing Academy. Team members from Idaho include from the University of Idaho: Charles Cheyney, Glenn Shewmaker, Shannon Williams, Sarah Baker, Scott Jensen, Brian McLain, Howard Neibling, Christine Falen, Oliver Neher, Tianna Fife, John Hall, Jim Church, Rikki Wilson, Kelly Crane, J.Benton Glaze, C. Wilson Gray, and Diane Noel; from USDA; Dan Ogle and Loren St. John; and from Producer/Consultant; Jim Gerrish, and Laura Hooper.
- American Society of Agronomy, 2010 Certificate of Excellence for Extension Educational Materials Program for “Pasture and Grazing Management in the Northwest” PNW 614.
- Western Agricultural Economics Association’s Outstanding Extension Program Award for Project: University of Idaho Farm Management Costs and Returns Program, 2007
- American Agricultural Economics Association Distinguished Extension/Outreach Program Group, 2007