Dr. Riesenberg has shown that agricultural education is not only a good place to start, but also an exceptional discipline for a lifetime of service. From 1971 to 1976, Dr. Riesenberg began his professional career as a secondary and adult vocational horticulture instructor in the Independent School District 14 of Fridley, Minnesota, demonstrating that urban agriculture secondary programs can be successful.
From 1976 to 1979, Dr. Riesenberg was a teaching associate in the Departments of Agricultural Education and Agricultural Engineering at the University of Minnesota while pursuing a Ph.D. degree in higher education. He has served the University of Idaho and the Idaho agriculture industry since 1979:
- 1979 to 1984 - Assistant professor in the Departments of Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural and Extension Education, and Division of Vocational Teacher Education
- 1986 - Associate professor in the Department of Agricultural and Extension Education and Division of Vocational Teacher and Adult Education
- 1996 - Professor in the Department of Agricultural and Extension Education and Division of Adult, Career and Technical Education
- 1987 to 2008 - Department Head of Agricultural and Extension Education
- 2000 to present - Director of University Outreach Video Network Support Services