College of Art & Architecture
Campus Locations: Moscow
Landscape Architecture program
With UI Since 1985
Doctor of Philosophy, Geographical Sciences and Planning, University of Queensland, Australia, 1996
Master of Landscape Architecture, University of Massachusetts/Amherst, Regional Landscape Planning Option, 1978
Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture (U.S. equivalent), Tokyo University of Agriculture (TUA), 1975
GIS-aided Regional Landscape Planning and Design
Applied Land Informatics
Water-related Landscape Architecture
Application of Regenerative and Sustainable Design Principles
Dr. Otawa has taught design studio, CAD and GIS-related courses at Ball State University and the University of Idaho for nearly 30 years. He has published more than 50 papers, books, journal articles and technical reports in applied environmental and renewable energy research. His current research interest is in geospatial information systems applied to regional renewable resources, landscape (physical) planning, and sustainable or low-impact design, particularly in restoration of environmentally-sensitive areas.
- Otawa, T. Modeling Land Use Changes in the Palouse Region of the Northwestern United States. In: Proceedings of the Trends in Knowledge-Based Landscape Modeling Conference; May 18-20, 2006; Dessau, Germany. Heidelberg: Wichmann-Verlag; May 2006; pp. 104-114. (ISBN 13: 978-3-87907-439-6)
- Otawa, T. “Regional Constraints Analysis for GIS Adoption: Tools for Advancing Regional Planning Applications,” Landscape Review, v. 10, n.1 & 2(2005), pp. 79-85.
- Otawa, T. “Benefits and Obstacles of GIS Implementations: Recent Perceptual Shifts and Implications for City and Regional Planning Organizations.” In: Proceedings of GITA27 Conference held in Seattle, Washington. April 2004.
- Otawa, T. Maximizing the Power of GIS in Applied Land Informatics. Lewiston, NY: Mellen Press, 2004. 350 pp. ISBN: 0773464913.
- Otawa, T. "GIS Diffusion in Urban and Regional Planning Organizations: Analysis of Paradigm Shift in the 1990’s." In: Proceedings of the 2002 Hawaii International Conference on Social Science held in Honolulu, HI, June 2002.
- Otawa, T. "Analysis of GIS Diffusion in Digital Government: Application of an Evaluation Model." In: Proceedings of the 2002 GIS Conference held in Toronto, Canada, April 2002.
- GIS-aided Viewshed Analysis—In progress
- Facility Siting Studies for Renewable Energy Resources—In progress
- Paradise Creek Restoration Planning and Design—In progress
- Applied Land Informatics--Completed
- Paradise Creek Restoration Project-Phase II, 2009
- Moscow Ball-field Park Master Planning, 2009
- Paradise Creek Restoration Project, 2008
- Northwest Passage Corridor Management Plan: Viewshed Protection Study, 2008
- Moscow Municipal Reservoir Master Plan, Palouse Aquifer Committee (PAC), City of Moscow, 2007
- Moscow Ball-field Parking Design (Low Impact Development), City of Moscow, 2007
- Wetland Design for PCEI Rodeo Center, 2006
- Introduction to Computer-assisted Wetland Construction at the PCEI Center, 2006