College of Art & Architecture
Campus Locations: Moscow
Landscape Architecture program
With UI Since 1998
Interdisciplinary Ph.D., Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, 1990-95. Dissertation: Culture and Resettlement: A Case Study of Cultural Dissonance in a Mexican Migrant Farmworkers’ Resettlement. Disciplines: Interior Design, Anthropology, Architecture, and Political science
M.A. Architecture, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1988-90
B.S. Architecture, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, 1980-85
Environment and behavior interaction
Factors affecting quality of life in the built environment: physical, cultural, social, and psychological
Culture and resettlement: resettlement of cultural groups, elderly, health care applications, and military
Adaptive reuse applications and community building
Sense of place: place attachment and identity, conflict and place, security and place attachment
Interdisciplinary design education
Experiential approaches to understanding the physical and metaphorical parameters of interior spaces
Awwad-Rafferty, R., O’Shea, L. 2009. "Design & Security in the Built Environment," Fairchild Books.
Awwad-Rafferty, R., Essay on Service for Chapter 2 (The Nature of Interior Design Education) and on engaged learning/service learning for Chapter 5 (Studio Learning), in: The Roles of the Full-Time Academic in Interior Design: Practical Strategies for Teaching & Learning. Kathy Ankerson and Jill Pable. Fairchild Books. March 2008. (invited, and blind reviewed)
- Online Field / Engagement Report: Being in Place, of Place, in Qula. Rula Awwad-Rafferty. 2008. Published in Zochrot Activities Reports; English: http://www.zochrot.org/index.php?id=699; Translated into Hebrew: http://www.zochrot.org/index.php?id=698
- Native American Student development Conference. Participant.
- Quality of Graduate Education retreat facilitator. May 2008.
University of Idaho. Moscow, ID.
- Inland Northwest Partnership --Revitalizing Your Community
Through Grassroots Leadership. Exhibit and representation of BSCI. Post
Falls, ID. Summer, 2008.
- Susan Nathan visit and lecture: The other side of Israel.
University wide/cross campuses with WSU initiation, team building, fund
raising, coordination, and delivery. Fall 2008.
- Idaho Green Expo, Boise, ID. Exhibit, outreach representing
BSCI, BRP, MOSS, and Department of Landscape Architecture and University
of Idaho. Summer 2008.
- Learning Practice Collaborative supervision with Stites,
Idaho. Student: Hanna Persson. Spring and summer 2008.
- Community centers as a third place (in partnership with
Horizons program), Spring and summer 2008.
- The Idaho House/and The Governor’s mansion alternatives’
explorations—In progress work with Idaho First Lady Lori Otter. Spring
- Interdisciplinary steering group --campus and community
engagement-- to facilitate, coordinate, and fundraise for Greg
Mortenson’s (Three Cups of Tea) visit to campus, and to sponsor building
a school in Pakistan in the name of the University of Idaho community.
Fall 2007 and spring 2008.
- Fall 2008 Received Alumni Association Award for Faculty
Excellence. Nominated by Hanna Persson. University of Idaho
- Spring 2008 Received The 2008 University of Idaho Excellence
of Outreach Award, 2008.
- Fall 2007 Received Alumni Association Award for Faculty
Excellence. Nominated by Tess Nally. University of Idaho
- Spring 2007 University of Idaho Service Learning Fellow