As part of a strong outreach mission, our college has a long-standing history of collaborating with professionals, governmental agencies, business leaders and nonprofit organizations on design, visual art and planning projects for communities in the state and region.
These community-based design programs are an important learning tool for our students. They provide valuable practical experiences as well as much-needed services for communities throughout Idaho.
Our students and faculty are making a difference in communities through art and design.
- Redevelopment planning of the mountain community of Cascade, Idaho
- Design-build project of a carbon-neutral building, one of the first of its kind in the nation, located on the University of Idaho campus in McCall, Idaho
- Restoration and flood prevention plans for Paradise Creek in Moscow
- Interactive virtual environment to promote sustainability of Basque culture in Boise
- Community sustainability projects throughout the state
- Virtual living human prototype for health care research and education
- Sustainable urban design concepts for eight blocks of the South Tacoma Mixed-Use Center
- Buhl Fish Wall
- Design demonstrations of sustainable development for commercial, mixed-use and housing in Moscow
- Master plan with 3D walkthroughs for Sawtooth Botanical Garden in Sun Valley, Idaho
- Site planning for local, state and national parks
- Playground wall mural for a local elementary school
- Designs for regional community centers
- Promotional material for Moscow's annual summer music festival, Rendezvous in the Park
- Training simulator for a local law enforcement agency and a virtual “time machine” that allows users to explore historical events or places in context
- Second-life project to be used in the orientation of new University of Idaho students
- Virtual animation productions for University student musical and theatrical performances
- Design of the Schitsu'umsh Cultural Institute for the Coeur d'Alene Tribe
- Design of the museum portion of the Huhugam Heritage Center within the Gila River Indian Community
- Design of the McKinley Hill Mixed-Use Center in Tacoma
- Neighborhood design for the Lincoln and Brewery Districts of Tacoma