College of Art & Architecture
Art and Design program, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education
MFA, University of Idaho, 1986
BA Art Education, University of Washington, 1973
Mixed media artwork
Sally Graves Machlis is a Professor of Art and Design and Art Education at the University of Idaho. In an innovative appointment, she is a faculty member of both the College of Art and Architecture and the College of Education. She served as chair of Art and Design from 2000 to 2004 and began a new term again in 2010.
Professor Machlis received her Bachelor’s degree in Art Education from the University of Washington and her Master of Fine Arts from the University of Idaho.
At the University of Idaho, Machlis teaches elementary and secondary art methods and drawing and painting courses. She is currently teaching Art 100, World Art and Culture, a core art appreciation course. Machlis has been awarded the University of Idaho Alumni Award for Faculty Excellence in Teaching three times.
Professor Machlis exhibits her artwork regionally and nationally in juried, invitational and solo exhibitions. Her mixed media collages and paintings incorporate maps, charts, photographs and other symbols of human organization. Influenced by a recent sabbatical in Taiwan her recent work includes abstract paintings and books using Chinese ink. Her work has been included in exhibitions from Washington, D.C. to Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona, and Havana, Cuba. Most recently she has exhibited in Taiwan, Idaho and Chicago.
Machlis is very active in educational outreach in the state of Idaho and nationally. She has been instrumental in working with teachers who wish to obtain distance MAT degrees at the University of Idaho. She is a member of the Women’s Caucus for Art and the National Art Education Association and was appointed by the Governor to serve as a commissioner on the Idaho Commission on the Arts.
- "The Chiayi Series” exhibited at the following:
The ARC Gallery, Chicago, Illinois, 2010
The Jacklin Arts and Culture Center, Post Falls Idaho 2009
University of Idaho Prichard Gallery, Moscow, Idaho 2008
Herrett Center for Arts and Science, Twin Falls, Idaho2008
- “Truths and Fables” exhibited at the following:
The Art Center, National Yunlin University, Taiwan 2007
University Center Gallery, National Chiayi University, Taiwan 2007
UC Art Gallery, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 2006
Arizona Western College, Yuma, Arizona 2006
Selected Group Exhibitions
- “Prior Knowledge,” Chase Gallery at City Hall, Spokane, Washington 2008
- “Under Cover,” Urban institute for Contemporary Arts, Grand Rapids, Michigan 2006
- "Reveal/Conceal," Eastern Washington University, Cheney, Washington 2006
- “Toxic Landscapes,” Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Havana, Cuba 2002
- “2001 Idaho Triennial Exhibition,” Boise Art Museum, Boise, Idaho 2001
- “Pleasure Craft,” Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma, Washington 2001
- Best of Show, Creative Quarterly: the Journal of Art and Design #14, New York, 2009
- Sabbatical Leave Award, Visiting Artist Taiwan, 2007
- Commissioner, Idaho Commission on the Arts, 2006-present
- Bryn Mawr Institute for Women in Higher Education 2003