College of Art & Architecture
Palatine, Illinois, USA
Architecture and Interior Design program
With UI Since 2004
Master of Architecture, University of Oregon, 1998
Bachelor of Architecture, University of Notre Dame, 1989
Design process & pedagogy
Roman/Italian art & architecture
Matthew Brehm first studied architecture at the University of Notre Dame, which included a year spent in Rome, Italy. After graduating with a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1989, Matt spent five years working in the District of Columbia for the award-winning design firms STUDIOS Architecture
and Spector Knapp & Baughman, Ltd
. It was also during this time that he spent two summers teaching architectural design at The Catholic University of America. In 1993, he began the Option I Master of Architecture degree program at the University of Oregon and worked for a few Eugene design firms while completing his degree, including TBG Architects and Planners
. Matt also taught design studios and graphics courses at the University of Oregon from 2000 until joining the University of Idaho faculty in 2004. His research and teaching is focused primarily on design communication, design process, and architectural graphics, and in 2007 Matt initiated a new study abroad program for Idaho architecture students to go to Rome, Italy
, for two months each summer.
- Selected Publications (or perhaps this could be under a new category of “Books”):
Matthew Brehm, Sketching on Location, Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing Company, 2012. ISBN 978-1-4652-0526-1 Click here to purchase
- “Mapping the Tapestry of Technique” in the Design Communication Association Biannual Conference Proceedings; Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, Ga. March 2009.
- “Exhibit Brings Out Professors’ Artistic Side,” The Moscow-Pullman Daily News, Thursday, January 8, 2009, Omie Drawhorn
- “Analog/Digital: Gathering Student Points of View” in The International Journal of the Arts in Society, Volume 3, Number 3, 2008, ISSN: 1833-1866, pp87-101. July 2008.
- “Analog/Digital: Gathering Student Points of View” in 3rd International Conference on the Arts in Society Proceedings, 2008. Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, United Kingdom. July 2008.
- “Analog or Digital: Gathering Student Points of View” in European Association for Architectural Education / Architectural Research Centers Consortium Conference Proceedings. Danish Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Copenhagen, Denmark. June 2008.
- “Bringing Home the Experience,” The Argonaut, Friday, September 26, 2008, Meagan Robertson
- “Design Tools and Translation: Cursive and Sketching” in Design Communication Association Biannual Conference Proceedings. September 2007.
- “Students Spend Two Months in Rome,” The Argonaut, Friday, September 28, 2007, Chad Creighton
- “From Mind to Hand: Cursive and Sketching as Translation” in International Conference on the Beginning Design Student, Proceedings. March 2007.
*For a full list of publications and projects, see complete CV.
- “Pre-Conceptual Actions in Architectural Design Education” Abstract accepted for presentation at the 4th International Conference on the Arts in Society at the Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere ed Arti, in Venice, Italy. July 2009.
- “Instilling Productive Processes for Architectural Design” Abstract accepted for presentation at the 16th International Conference on Learning at the University of Barcelona, Spain. July 2009.
- Timeline of Sketches from Italy. Design Communication Association Juried Drawing Exhibition. Marietta, Ga. March 2009.
- Timeline of Sketches from Italy. College of Art & Architecture Faculty Show. The Prichard Gallery, University of Idaho. January 2009.
- Sketches from Italy. College of Art & Architecture Faculty Show. The Prichard Gallery, University of Idaho. December 2007.
- Digital Sketches. Design Communication Association Juried Drawing Exhibition. Muncie, Ind. September 2007.
- “A Fresh Look at Three Books by Arthur L. Guptill” in Opportunities, Design Communication Association Newsletter. January 2007.
- “Osservatorio Campo dei Fiori.” College of Art & Architecture Faculty Show. The Prichard Gallery, University of Idaho. December 2006.
- “Campus Sketches” published in Representation 2005-2006, Journal of the Design Communication Association. December 2006.
- “World Water Embassy, Namibia.” Line of Site Competition. Selected as one of 45 finalists, published online. August 2006.
- “Osservatorio Campo dei Fiori.” Steedman International Design Competition. March 2006.
- Photography. “Winter Solstice Exhibit” (juried). Third Street Gallery, City Hall, Moscow, Idaho. December 2005.
- Charcoal Sketches. “Moscow: Through the Eyes of Our Artists” (juried). Third Street Gallery, City Hall, Moscow, Idaho. June 2005.
- Best in Category Award, Faculty Observational Images, Design Communication Association Juried Drawing Exhibition, October 2012
- Shari Park-Gates Juror’s Award, Design Communication Association Juried Drawing Exhibition, March 2009
- Best in Show Award, Faculty Observational Images, Design Communication Association Juried Drawing Exhibition, August 2005
- Hoffman Award for Teaching Excellence, University of Idaho, 2010