Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Definition of Disability
When you are unable to work because of a non-work related injury or illness (including pregnancy), you may be eligible for disability benefits. Disability benefits can provide a source of continuing income while you are unable to work. There are two types of disability benefits:
- Short-Term Disability (STD) - provides short-term (up to 22 weeks) income protection if you become disabled from a covered injury or illness
- Long-Term Disability (LTD) - provides continuing income when you are unalbe to work for a longer period of time due to an injury or illness
View the Disability Benefits At-A-Glance Chart for coverage information.
When eligible, your benefits will begin after the waiting period, which is the later of:
- The 30th consecutive day of your being either "totally disabled" or "disabled and working"
- When you have exhausted all of your sick leave
How to Apply
Contact The Standard within 30 days before or after you disability occurs (or as soon as reasonably possible)
- Call (855) 758-4733, Monday through Friday, 5:00am - 5:00pm (Pacific Time)
- Have the following information available:
- Your department and last day of active, full-time or regularly scheduled work
- Manager's name and phone number
- Nature of the claim and whether it is work-related
- Treating physician's name, address and phone number
In addition, please contact:
- Benefit Services at (208) 885-3697 or email@example.com to inform them of your last regular day worked and that you have applied for disability benefits
- Your physician; you will need to authorize them to release medical information to TheStandard so The Standard is able determine your disability claim
If approved for Short-Term Disability benefits, you will receive a weekly check from The Standard. If approved for Long-Term Disability benefits, you will receive a check from The Standard.
Policy and Resources
Summary Plan Description - Disability Coverage
STD/LTD provider - The Standard
STD/LTD employee benefit election
FAQs About Short and Long-Term Disability Benefits
Log in to your VandalWeb account and click on myBenefits (under employee tab) and view your benefit elections.
The Standard will begin processing your information to ensure there are no delays in receiving your long-term disability benefits.
No, however you may be eligible for Long-Term Disability benefits (if out for 6 months or longer). Payments are offset by Workers' Compensation income benefits.
Yes, however, your Short-Term Disability benefit will be reduced by the income you receive from your half-time salary.
Yes, you will be advised how many hours you can use when you are approved for Short-Term Disability benefits.
The Shared Leave program is available for these situations. Please refer to the Shared Leave Policy (FSH 3710, K).